VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my smoking problem continues, despite my best efforts, systematically replacing the breather system, a bit at a time. It still puffs out blue smoke at idle, and is using oil at an alarming rate. I'm now beginning to think that maybe the turbo is the problem. Although my VW tech friend has checked the shaft and says there's little or no play in it :confused:

So, for those of you that know....how bad does this look....compressor side
Obviously covered in oil

Turbine side looks clean....

Guessing this is an oil feed pipe. Looks to be leaking.....

Opinions welcomed. Any input gratefully recieved...

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Usually if the turbo leaks you will find a fair amount of oil in the bottom of the oil cooler.

You can take the lower intake boot loose from the intercooler and see how much oil is in the bottom of the intercooler.

Some oil is normal, like maybe a table spoon or less, more than this the turbo shaft seals are most likely leaking oil into the intake path from the turbo seals.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Usually if the turbo leaks you will find a fair amount of oil in the bottom of the oil cooler.

You can take the lower intake boot loose from the intercooler and see how much oil is in the bottom of the intercooler.

Some oil is normal, like maybe a table spoon or less, more than this the turbo shaft seals are most likely leaking oil into the intake path from the turbo seals.
No more than a smear of oil in the intercooler. Maybe it's not dead then......Some hope! :)

Thanks jfoj

1 - 4 of 4 Posts