NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at buying a Beetle and have been trolling on this site for a few months now. I looked at so many and finally have one I think I narrowed it down to. (2000 2.0 5 speed) Paint is great, new tires, timing belt, a/c works, no check engine lights and lots of other things that make it nice. What it does though is that sometimes you have to push it into first gear with the clutch fully depressed. Not like a super man push, but it doesn't slide right in. No grinding or anything like that, and doesn't slip going down the road. Should I have any concerns on this?
thanks.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I would check the shift linkage. Might just be not adjusted well.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
May I.... for a female, which normally doesn't get into cars... you are VERY knowledgeable!!!

I am impressed ;) I bet others are too!!!!!
Thanks :) I love cars and I do a lot of the work on my own. After over 8 years of being around VWs, I've learned a lot for sure!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok, bite the bullet and bought the beetle. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong spot, but mine doesn't have the nut as shown in the pictures. I'm looking at the top of the transmission. It looks like the cables have barrel adjusters to adjust the shifter. It seems like an adjustment issue, because if you push down ever so slightly it slides into first like butter.
Sorry I'm a VW noobie. Thanks for all the help, I will post pictures once I get it all cleaned up.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
That thread is for a '99, which has a different style shift linkage, which is why yours doesn't look the same. I know there are some how-to's on it, but I'd have to search around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts