NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Im new to the forum and was hoping to get some opinions and advice. Im looking to buy a beetle for my fiance but im not knowldegable on all the different trim levels, specs, options, etc etc. Were looking for a used "new" beetle and not sure on what a good used price would be, as well. Maybe some one could shine some light on these questions I have. Her only preferences are that the car be an Automatic and Red, Blue, or Yellow. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Super Moderator
14,750 Posts
If you really need an automatic, get one that is a 6-speed Tiptronic, found in later years.

Have fun with the search, the right one will "call out" to you and your gf.

Welcome to the Org :wave2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. Was beginning to worry if I was alone in this forum. An auto is definatly what we plan o getting. We were able to find a "2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Coupe 2dr Cpe GLX Turbo Auto" used for $11,000. Does this seem right? Again, i have no clue or experience with these cars so the more info i can gather, the better off i can be on make a good decision.

·
Super Moderator
14,750 Posts
That is a good year, and it is a 150hp 1.8T Turbo engine. A GLX is nicely equipped. Just ask if it's the Tiptronic automatic. None of my 03s was an auto, so not sure if they were used in 03.

That price you posted - sounds really high. Unless it has like 10k miles! :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Welcome to the Org! Deb is right, if you must have an auto, try to go with the 6 speed Tiptronic. We have that tranny in our '08. Great transmission. A 1.8T with a 5 speed manual...or even better, a 6 speed manual would be a lot more fun. :)

I think $11K is a bit high for an '03. Good luck in your search and please keep us updated.

·
Super Moderator
14,750 Posts
Our 05 NBC had Tiptronic, but our earlier NBs all had manuals.

Anyone know what year the Tip started in NBs?

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,846 Posts
Welcome aboard:wave2:

Love your user name BTW- love the new Camaro:bigthumb: If you haven't yet, start a photo thread in the gallery "other rides" section.

Yeah, that price seems a bit steep mate- might be able to haggle them down... worth a try anyway.

Also be privy to the maintenance on the beetle you're gonna buy. The beetles need their timing belts changed as you approach the 70k mark- along with that, the water pump. The water pumps have plastic impellers that fail about the same time your timing belt needs replacing; so doing all of that at the same time is key. Oh, and there's the belt tensioner and roller- all in that tidy little area. So make sure those things are done, or negotiated in your deal.

Also I strongly recommend staying closely connected to this site/forum. It is a wealth of info, which will save you from being fleeced by the dealerships. Plus the knowledge gleaned here can save you a ton of headache. Too many times we get folk here who post when they first get their beetle, then POOF!... they vanish after only a few posts. Then as time goes by, they might get frustrated with their bugs and get rid of them, when all of that time past, they could've gotten some useful info to make their beetle experience a pleasant one. So keep us in the loop- besides we'd love to see that lil bug when you get it; maybe even meet you, your G/F and the beetle if we're lucky:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts