VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am searching out a NB, 2000-2005. I commute and my gas guzzling SUV needs a break. Diesel or gas? And is 1999 too old? I want to spend less than $4000... I live in Canada, should I be concerned with rust?

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
TDI, 2002 or newer! You are smart to stay within the 1999-2005 group. So many of those TDI's are just getting started!

I cannot think of any of my Beetle friends having trouble with rust, from anywhere. Keep up with wash and wax, a Diesel Geek under engine shield, and you're good to go!

Welcome to the Org, and Best of luck with your search! :)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
TDI will depend on how much you drive and where you drive. If its a lot of sort trips and city driving, that's not really good for a TDI engine and the premium you pay for it won't really ever pay off. Lots of highway driving, then yeah, a TDI will work well. But the gassers are great too. A 2.0 with a 5-speed is pretty darn bulletproof and is cheap to maintain. The only thing I've noticed with them is that since they are the base motor, they tend to not be owned by enthusiasts and get pretty beat up. But the engine is solid. The 1.8T is super fun but it takes premium fuel. The TDI is a diesel of course, but it is picky about oil and you have to be very good at staying on top of maintenance.

I've had experiences with all 3 engines so feel free to ask more questions.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

As you can see from my signature I've owned a 2001 TDI and a 2002 1.8 Turbo. I loved each. The years you are looking at are great years and the price range you are wanting to stay within is reasonable too. Good luck with your purchase.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts