VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any good and affordable spark plugs and wires out their? Also should I change all 4 spark plugs?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
For the spark plugs; I would stick with oem, ngk or bosch (depending on the engine code).

For the spark plug wires; Bosch would be a high quality choice.

Search on NGK and Bosch's website for the correct parts:

NGK Spark Plugs

https://www.boschautoparts.com/auto

RockAuto and Amazon; tend to have some of the best prices.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright thanks. And would u recommend just changing all 4 spark plugs? And is it a hard job to do?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
1999 GLS 2.0 m/t
189 Posts
I went to Bosh auto and prices weren't displayed. So I used their part numbers and ordered my plugs and wires from ebay.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm looking into mayb checking out eBay also. Also mayb rockauto just gotta make sure to look for the good eom brand

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Hey, again; I would not replace the coil pack, until you do the testing procedures laid out in the vwvortex link I linked to:

VWVortex.com - DIY/Troubleshooting - Coil pack on 2.0 AZG, AVH, BEV, or BBW

That being said; I would first, look up the correct part number for your car on vw's part website. Once, you get the correct part number; you can use that to search for your coil. Eldor is the brand; that currently, makes them for Volkswagen (the parts you would get at your VW dealer).

Look on VW's parts website; get the correct part number and maybe, we can give you some recommendations on which coil pack and where to get it.

What year, model, and engine (plus the engine code); is your car?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only thing is I do t have the time to do check that stuff out. As far I know it could b the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and/or coil. I'm going to have my uncle change it and believe it or not he's gonna charge me. He's helped me out a lot a lot before with other cars and I never paid him. So I'm not really mad that he's gonna. Charge me. I know he won't charge me a lot. But my point is that I just really want him to go ahead and change all 3 because either it's all 3 of them or it could just b a bad spark plugs or wire. I really don't know when is the last time any of those got changed. I wouldn't b surprised if they never been attended too. So I just really wanna get that done all at once. I found some good spark plugs and wires. I just need a coil. I do t really wanna spend much like I said and that one on Amazon is pretty cheap and has good reviews. I know like u told me before u get for wat u paid for lol. But Ima just take my chances lol. and I still have to get that third break light lol. My uncle told me to just change the break light first and when it's time for the spark plugs/ wires and coil to b changed then we can get that done. But I'm tired of the check engine light and the car starting up rough in the morning lol

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, there are tons of cheap parts out there; the problem is, it is hard to know if they are any good. Do you want to be the guinea pig and be stuck with part that will leave you stranded? Don't set yourself up for failure! Cheap parts; tend to end up costing you more in the long run (e.g. car being down, having to pay be towed, paying a professional to do the work over again, buying the same part over again after the warranty expires, etc.). Again, you get what you pay for! Tell us the year, model and engine code of your New Beetle and we can look parts up. :)

Have you figured out a budget; for this tune up?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How much should a job like this cost in labor? For the spark plugs spark plug wires and mayb the coil? I just wanna make sure I'm charged the rite amount

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Labor rates; are typically standardized in the auto repair industry; by shops looking them up in their repair management software. You could call a couple of local repair shops; for a estimate and they could tell you what their labor rate per hour is and the time given for the work you want done.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts