VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i been seeing people modify and or buy aftermarket exhaust eather to benefit the low end torque or higher rpm..

i fixed my down pipe and realized my mpg dropped from 25-30mpg to a 2.0l to 20 to 25 mpg (i always have 2 people other than me in the car). knowing that my flex pipe was litery off and draging the streets and i stay mostly 2,000rpm-3,000rpm

so has anyone modded their stock muffler/exhaust to increase airflow or even have pictures of one butterflied open

speaking of butterfly, dos any one have made or know of a butterfly valve for the 89-05 vw beetles. the best of both world on the pipe range :confused:

but if i cant modify some diy, thinking about a 2.5" catback (megelns)

·
Registered
14,192 Posts
Before you start "modding" things; how many miles are on the car and when was the last time, you did a thorough tune up? You need to scan the car and start checking for issues... you need to "tune" your car to get it running correctly first and then start considering hardware upgrades (you would be surprised how well a stock car can run, if it is tuned up and running at its best). Scan the car for trouble codes and give us info about the fuel trims... give us some history of the car and what sort of maintenance (if any); you have done to the car?!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
miles, hehe,, i think around the 147+k and im not sure as i have stated besides the 6 month- yearly fluid/hardware mantice non really do to the dealers act sceachy and says about 400+ for a check up and money not the best at the moment. the muffler rattles amusing its probably rusted out (tho the hangers been replaced and still newish i guss. not stretched).. so befor i cut, was seeing if anyone got or did anything, not looking for noise, just a little more get up and go if posabull, but in the end will have to ether replace or rebuild

im like the 3ed owner and bring it back to running operation, and for the tuning aspect i was going to do all that after the hardware adds and mods, just get all in one wallop.. i know a higher flowing intake and exhaust usually dont need any ESU tuning right off the back (not like anyone around here would know how to do that, shop wise), just cant ustalize all that it can offer

tho about the ESU i dont know if the resent A.D.D problem is do to a malfunction or what scene the cabin lights randomly come on and off now :/... lightning struck the area like 6x in the past month (lives on a few acres and cars under a conapie next to s shipping crate/workshop)

error codes well none, but coming home from work right now it didnt want to start on the first crank and the engine light came on, thin again my partner (its mainly her car) was listing to the radio for 2 hours, so i assume its do to that,

·
Beetlemaniac
12 Posts
My center muffler split open on the upper seam. I posted a thread about removing it here a few months ago. Search the 2.0l forum my thread. I used a 2" to 2" muffler pipe to replace the muffler with a straight pipe, and used new stock clamps. Now my New Beetle has only one muffler like 90% of the cars on the road. Sounds throaty but NOT loud, very awesome. I get better performance and mpg's now. I also did the snow box removal, my screen was PACKED with dirt. The intake noise is louder now too. I will post a video later this week of what it sounds like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts