VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I drive a 2006 vw beetle and the steering started feeling loose. I brought it into the shop and they said nothing is wrong. It used to take a bit of effort to turn the wheel, not a lot but some. But now it turns like nothing. Now I know newer cars have better power steering and may drive like mine but my car has always had a tiny bit of pushback. Not like it was hard to turn but like it was secure. I don’t know why the shop said nothing was wrong but I think there is, there’s no reason that all of a sudden my steering wheel should feel loose. Am I just anxious or is my concern valid. Everyone I tell they act like I’m crazy but it just logically seems like something is wrong.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
One thing I like about VW’s is the very “secure” steering. I do not like a loose over powered steering. My first car was a manual rack and pinion, with no power steering, VW is similar to that.

Have you hit anything like a curb or pot hole recently?

Check the power steering fluid level.

If the level is good try turning the steering wheel lock to lock a couple of times this will bleed out any air that might be in your power steering system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One thing I like about VW’s is the very “secure” steering. I do not like a loose over powered steering. My first car was a manual rack and pinion, with no power steering, VW is similar to that.

Have you hit anything like a curb or pot hole recently?

Check the power steering fluid level.

If the level is good try turning the steering wheel lock to lock a couple of times this will bleed out any air that might be in your power steering system.

They said the power steering fluid was fine just a bit dirty. Should I still fork out the money to get it fixed.

my mom said that the reason it may be so loose is because when my battery died she was playing with my steering wheel and may have broke some crude off of the mechanisms but that still doesn’t make sense to me.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Do you have any friends with a similar vehicle? Golf/Beetle/Jetta 99-06 ? All these cars have the exact same steering set up. They share the same steering and suspension parts. If you know someone who has one you could drive and compare.

If the shop indicated nothing was wrong and you don’t do your own work then taking your car in for them to look would be a waste of money.

I can walk you through basic checks if you have the ability and tools to safely lift the front end off the ground. The key here is SAFELY.

It’s doubtful your mom did anything while playing with the steering wheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts