NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Yeah its yellow. So what?
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... So I figured the reason I was losing coolant was from it being poor choice of coolant and water and it was expanding and pouring out of the over-flow while driving... So this weekend I went out and bought some G12 ($28.45) and 2.5 gallons of distilled water ($1.59) and did a full coolant flush. Awesome!

Didn't work.

Pulled apart the fender inner walls and all the plastic covers along the bottom so I could watch everything while it was idling in my driveway. Found the culprit but I have no idea what I'm looking at...

There is coolant POURING out from behind this pulley (crank?)! Okay, not pouring. But losing enough to throw a flashing red temp light in about 2-3 minutes. So definitely an un-restricted flow.

I did some quick online searches on my phone while eating last night before bed and found a reference to the MK3 having a common problem with a "coolant flange" near there that would be flowing to that point and it would look like it was dripping from the pulley. Does that translate to the NewBeetle at all?

Any help you guys could give would be much appreciated.

·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay... Looks like it's time to swap out my Graf (metal impeller) again... Just installed it on July 19, 2010 and it's only been about 25-30 thousand miles... Bad seal on the internal shaft. $75.43 for my new one from my local shop. Will be available for pickup tomorrow morning.

Sucks that this will be my third water pump though :(

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
How old is your timing belt tensioner. If its not the correct tension it could cause to much " pull" on the water pump pulley and lead to premature failure of the shaft seal. Misaligned pulleys can do the same thing

·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The whole job was done at the same time on 7/19/10... Will definitely check the tensioner before I start though. Thanks for the idea :)

·
turbo
1,043 Posts
Okay... Looks like it's time to swap out my Graf (metal impeller) again... Just installed it on July 19, 2010 and it's only been about 25-30 thousand miles... Bad seal on the internal shaft. $75.43 for my new one from my local shop. Will be available for pickup tomorrow morning.

Sucks that this will be my third water pump though :(
I feel ya man, I put 4 wp's in my car within my first year having it. I not sure abotu the mk3 aba motor, but the aeg has a coolant flange on the drivers side of the engine, this also blew on me once. but like I said, it is on the drivers side. I gonna guess tentioner, but maybe the coolant temp sensor in the coolant flange ( or hose head cylinder flange) is bad. If you want to try replacing that go to germanautoparts.com . they are pretty cheap and its worht a shot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts