NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Issue: Start car and Able to shift car into Drive , reverse 2,3rg and so forth, but nothing happens. there is no motion in ether direction.

Type: 2.0 Gl 4 Cylinder automatic transmission

I noticed that when I press the break, something clicks in the gear box. As if there is a short connection or a loose cable.

I check the shift cable under the air box and it seems to be fine in that location but the cable that goes to gear shift seems to be really flexible as it furthers into the car.I do not know if the cable is supposed to be stiff and non moveable?

Or is there a senor in the shift box that's dead?

:(

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I would see if you can find someone with Vag-Com to scan for codes. I bet there are codes for the transmission.

Unfortunately an O1M auto not moving when put into gear isnt good.

How many miles?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Can you roll the car forward and back? We picked up a Jetta TDI with similar symptoms and wouldnt roll backwards. Never took apart the trans but we believe it was damaged beyond repair.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
4 or 6 speed?

First thing I would do is see if your car has snap in axles vs bolt on axles, if snap in, might be that an axle popped out of the transmission enough to disengage?

Also some of the 4 speeds have some solenoid that disengage the transmission when the brake is on.

Then there is the basic fluid level check.

Pretty simple, check from the drain plug with the engine running.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/transmission-talk/60709-auto-trans-level-check-fill-info.html

·
Registered
758 Posts
Ok I'm a noob....it was low on fluid....:eek:

Thanks!
Topping off the fluid will get the car going again, at least temporarily, but there may be damage to the transmission. I'd find and fix the leak as well as change the transmission fluid. While the transmission pan is off, I'd also inspect the magnet(s) on the bottom of the pan to get a feel for just how much damage the transmission has accumulated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts