NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, as you all know i have replaced the water pump and timing belt on my girls 1999 NEW BEETLE... timing belt was kinda worn and water pump was in almost brand new condition... even for the plastic one... i have replaced it with the METAL impeler version... anywho i used the ALLDATA TIMING BELTS book as a guide... i got everything correct including the tensioning thing down... now... i when i drive the car there is a tremendous loss of power... its real hard to get on it... what can this be... can this be the timing belt tensioner slipping? i used the ECS ULTIMATE TIMING BELT KIT.... i had to remove the spark plugs to make the engine turning over easier... thanks...

·
Registered
3 Posts
It sounds like your timing belt has slipped one or more teeth, I have an Audi V8 as well, and had the same thing happen the first time around, it could have happened while you were putting the new belt on. Hope this helps, good luck.:)

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Is there any chance that you got the spark plug wires mixed up?
But, it does sound like the timing belt is a tooth off.
When you did the belt exchange, did you lock the camshaft in place?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the camshaft didnt move one bit.. nothing moved one bit... i was carefully putting everything into place... but i think maybe the crank must of moved a tooth... i think its most likely the crank... i will chekc the timing today when my dad gets here so he can help me out...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts