NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Have a question regarding my 06 convertible beetle. We took a trip last weekend to Maine about a 650 mile round trip.

On the way back home, we filled the tank with gas. Going through Boston we hit 102 degree temperatures and rush hour traffic so you can imagine the waiting around with the A/C going. We were doing fine then I happened to step on the gas and got a little hesitation. Just thought I was getting tired from driving. A little further up it did it again and this time I knew it wasn't me.

Then as we moved further along I would give it gas, it would hesitate and then surge forward. We had to get into the breakdown lane and head for an exit. As we were waiting at a stoplight I put my foot to the floor in order to get anywhere and there was a pop from the rear exhaust and we surged forward again.

We waited an hour to cool down the car. Hubby checked out fluids etc., no lights were on dash warning us of anything.

We did make it home and the car hasn't done this since. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

We were wondering if maybe it was bad gas or a combination of the heat. I think it may have done this once about 6 months ago but very minor compared to this time. My husband put his scan tool on it and no codes showed up at all.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
448 Posts
My 2006 and 2008 bugs are both doing the samething. Having it fixed on both cars next week. I was told that it is the N80 purge valve. What my cars did was both started with the gas cap light and then it eventually turned off then a few weeks later the engine light came on and they started making that popping noise. It hasn't effected the way the car drives but that popping noise is annoying. I think vw should have a recall on this because there are to many vw doing this when it gets to a certain mileage.

Also neither cars will start on the first try after you get gas. So I have to keep them running while I get gas.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
While, I don't know if this is the right part #; this explaination from ECS TUNING; sounds similar to what you guys seem to be saying.

EVAP Purge Valve

Also know as the N80 valve
Does your Audi A3, MKII TT, or VW MK5 R32 sometimes have erratic misfiring with no check engine light on? Don't worry, it's a common problem, and here is your solution. Here's how it works:
Evaporative purge system performs two important operations. Primary purpose of the system is entrapment of fuel vapor produced in the gas tank in order to ensure cleaner environment. Secondary purpose of the system is provision of ventilation for the gas tank by allowing outside air to enter the tank and take the space left behind by used fuel.
If you purge valve isn't operating properly, gas is getting choked off at the tank. Let the fuel flow freely and keep your charcoal canister clean with this Genuine Audi/VW replacement part. Keeping your EVAP system happy will keep your engine happy.

Home Page > Search > N80 Purge > ES#277651 EVAP Purge Valve - 058133517B

lovemybug, what scanner are you using? Is it a generic OBD II scanner or a vw specific one; like VCDS?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts