NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can/does a diverter valve go bad with no warning? This morning going to work I had normal power and could feel the turbo kick in, then going to lunch I noticed loss of power. There are no CEL on and I have scanned to see if anything was stored(with a obd II). Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Can/does a diverter valve go bad with no warning? This morning going to work I had normal power and could feel the turbo kick in, then going to lunch I noticed loss of power. There are no CEL on and I have scanned to see if anything was stored(with a obd II). Thanks for your replies and suggestions.
Yes it can but I doubt it is the cause of your problem. If the diverter valve goes out you will usually hear some honking type noise, kinda like someone is randomly blowing into an empty coke bottle. Some describe it as a weak duck call.
It usually happens when the diaphragm rips.
I bet your car is in Limp mode which only allows 3 psi of boost. I would have the car scanned for codes even if the cel isn't on. What type of gasoline are you running in the car?
91 Octane or better I hope?!

Check for any vacuum leaks that also could trigger Limp Mode.
You can reset the code and see how quickly it returns. I know you don't show a CEL but there is a code stored in the system.

Let us know what that code is and lets go from there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indy,

Thank you for your response. I did scan it with my obdII reader and I do not have access to a vag com. And I am in the middle of know where. The car drives fine and I can get it up to over 60, just not as a quick as it was this morning.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Indy,

Thank you for your response. I did scan it with my obdII reader and I do not have access to a vag com. And I am in the middle of know where. The car drives fine and I can get it up to over 60, just not as a quick as it was this morning.
Hmm, very strange. So no codes on the OBDII.
Too bad you are not close by or we could scan it with my Vag Com.

Have you tried to reset and clear the codes?

My guess it could be the Crankshaft positioning sensor which can cause power loss and sluggish behavior. Or perhaps a failing Fuel Pump Relay. The Crank Sensor should throw a code like P0322 not sure what the code would be for the Fuel pump Relay.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
The DV was bad on my wife's car. No code. It only set a code when the dealer tech took it out for a redline run after swapping recalled coil packs. I got them to scan and tell me the problem, and I replaced it with the updated Bosch part.

So, give it a rip through a few gears up to the redline. See what happens.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Have you done any mods to your car? Exhaust, Intake, Tune, etc??

Anything at all done to the car recently?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have in the past couple days had the crank speed sensor p0322 code come on and I clear it. I plan to change it on Saturday. This very well could be the culprit except no codes this time. I did take it out on the highway and it seems to be back to normal. I can hear the turbos whistle but no blowing in a pop bottle sound.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I have in the past couple days had the crank speed sensor p0322 code come on and I clear it. I plan to change it on Saturday. This very well could be the culprit except no codes this time. I did take it out on the highway and it seems to be back to normal. I can hear the turbos whistle but no blowing in a pop bottle sound.
Yup, if the P0322 code comes on the Crank Sensor is on it's way out. Resetting the codes is just a temporary fix.
I am a 100% certain that it is the Crankshaft Positioning Sensor now.

What year is your car?
Automatic or Manual?

The one for $66.10 should work:
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2001/volkswagen/beetle/engine_mechanical/crank_position_sensor.html

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is a 02 automatic. Dang I wish I would have looked there for the sensor. I bought mine from AutoZone for $10. Just waiting for Saturday to arrive to change it out.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
It is a 02 automatic. Dang I wish I would have looked there for the sensor. I bought mine from AutoZone for $10. Just waiting for Saturday to arrive to change it out.
WOW, a $10.00 Crank Sensor? That is a great price even for Made in China :D

Make sure it's the right kind before you start work. It should have a fairly long cable. Some of them are too short. On an automatic they are a pain in the rear to change out. I hope you have flexible fingers ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry that should have saoid $104. More diagnostics, while driving if I just drive it normal it seems to run ok, but when I floor it it bogs down and loses power until I let of then it picks up again. Weird

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Sorry that should have saoid $104. More diagnostics, while driving if I just drive it normal it seems to run ok, but when I floor it it bogs down and loses power until I let of then it picks up again. Weird
Yup, those are typical signs. It's basically an RPM sensor that pics up engine speed via pulses it receives. If it flakes out it sends incorect data to the ECM and then things start to happen. In some severe cases you can stall out usually at idle or even at certain speeds. Hope you get it installed without any issues.

Good Luck. WOW, over 100 bucks for the Sensor. That better be a Gold Plated sensor signed by the engineers at VW. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Indy. It must be gold plated and diamond lined :D. The upside to me changing this sensor and it being such a pain is that I am a Principal a school here in AZ and I can usr our shops vat hoist so I can stand under it and work on it.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Thanks Indy. It must be gold plated and diamond lined :D. The upside to me changing this sensor and it being such a pain is that I am a Principal a school here in AZ and I can usr our shops vat hoist so I can stand under it and work on it.
Well, then Mr. Principal have at it. :D Must be nice!
I wish I was in Arizona where it's warm and not so freakin' cold. Hey, do you need a Vice Principal :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heck yes, come on over. I have 600 students and no assistant principal. I keep tell the district office I need one but they are not listening:rolleyes:

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Don't ask me what I recently paid for a green top coolant sensor at the dealer. I still want to punch someone in the farfergnugen.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Don't ask me what I recently paid for a green top coolant sensor at the dealer. I still want to punch someone in the farfergnugen.
You mean you paid more than $6.95?? :D

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Coolant Sensor > ES#2535452 Coolant Temperature Sensor With O-Ring & Clip - 4 Pin - 059919501AKTU

Heck even the OEM VW part is only a little over 18 bucks:

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Coolant Sensor > ES#264174 Coolant Temperature Sensor With O-Ring & Clip - 4 Pin - 078919501CKT

and it even comes with a new gasket and clip which I am sure the Stealer charged you extra for.

Just curious. How much did they charge you for a 3 minute repair?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Heck yes, come on over. I have 600 students and no assistant principal. I keep tell the district office I need one but they are not listening:rolleyes:
Tell them I work for peanuts and even will work on their Beetle's during lunch hour :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts