VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, New to this site. I own a 2004 turbo-s which has given me very few problems. Today while in town I left a red light in 1st gear, went to shift to 2nd and it was not there. Also discovered that 4th and 6th were also gone but I still had 1st, 3rd, 5th, and reverse. Nothing happened, I didn't hear any sounds, nothing felt funny when I shifted and I wasn't shifting it hard. It just lost those 3 gears right out of the blue. When I got home I removed the air filter housing and checked the shifter linkage but it doesn't appear that anything has went wrong with the linkage. I have read of shift fork failures in the 5 speed but nothing really on the 6 speed and I cannot correlate anything in my mind that would cause the loss of those 3 gears. the car has just now tripped 89,000 miles. Any suggestions to what has happened would be greatly appreciated as this is on only car. Thanks in advance, Kevin

EDIT: Ive just figured out that if you shift it pretty hard it will go into 2nd and 4th but still no 6th.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
I don't think its the shift fork, as they lost 3 gears, not just 1/2. I would be willing to be you need to adjust the shift linkage sine you lost the bottom 3 gears.

And you have it backwards...the 6-speeds have problems with the shift linkages. Not sure I've heard of it with the 5-speeds.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I do plan on going through the shifter adjustment today. saw a video on it and it says you need a couple of 5mm pins so Ive gotta locate some. I am guilty of shifting pretty hard but yesterday I was normally going through the gears. I don't think its a broken shift fork either since the you have shift forks for 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6. Hoping its just an adjustment problem since I have only lost the bottom 3. and like I stated before, you can shift into 2nd and 4th if you pop it pretty hard. Thanks again..

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I hope it isn't your fork either; you might want to read what my experiences were with mine on the link I showed above. Good luck and keep us posted on how things go!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I tear into it today. I removed the airbox and the battery and discovered that the piece that the shifter rod attaches to and splines up in the shaft in the transmission had some terribly worn splines in it. It was just flopping everywhere and I suspected that the problem was there. So I removed it from the shaft and packed some aluminum foil in the splines and also added an oversized washer on top to tighten the splines up. It worked, the connection was much tighter than it was and the shifts were much tighter. It would take every gear. So I drove it for 20 miles with no problems and then all the sudden I lost 2nd, 4th , and 6th again. Pulled over to see if my temporary repair had loosened
up and it did not. I tried to limp it home but then lost all of my gears. The shifter is still working. And it will go into all gears except 6th sitting at idle but once you start in the road and you shift out of 1st it won't go into another gear. So strange. Wondering if there is a roll pin or set screw in the shaft down inside the tranny that has loosened up. Never been into one of these 6 speeds before. Now I am a master diesel Technican so I do know my way around mechanical things and I will be the
one repairing this thing once I figure out what is going
on. If it turns out to the the shifting linkage I'm gonna install a short shifter from dieselgeeks.com. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Billymade for the info. I took it back apart this morning and I still think the problem is between the shift pawl (don't know the proper name, the piece that the shift cable goes to and it splines up on the shaft coming out of the tranny)and the shaft coming out of the tranny. I tightened that connection up yesterday and the shifter was much more crisp and shifted great. When I disassembled it this morning, what I had packed in there had worked it self out and the splines were terribly loose again. So much that it wouldn't take much to make it jump out of time. The good news is that it looks like all the wear is on the shifting pawl because it is aluminum and the splines on the steel shaft appear to be in good shape. I have ordered a short shifter from dieselgeek.com. I will keep you all posted when it comes in and I get it installed. In the mean time I may use a little epoxy to tighten the splines up just to get by for a few days..

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Cool, I hope this fixed your problem! SO, the splined shaft coming out of the shifting tower; is actually fine and intact, just the part connected to the shaft are stripped out (the part the cables are attached to)? You could probably drill a hole in that part; tap the hole and install a set screw, that would work in the mean time and you could confirm that the transmission is ok. I've been wanting a Diesel Geek Sigma Six shifter forever!; :) let us know, how you like it and how it works out for you! :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So I got the new short shifter from dieselgeek.com yesterday and installed it today. It was a little tedious to get adjusted just right but once I did and took it for a drive all I got to say is that I like it very much. It shifts a little rough but the online directions said that the sliding parts would have to break in and that's understandable. The parts were very well made and the precision machine was flawless. I think 195.00 is a bargain compared to how much research and development that must have went into producing these parts. The shifting is much tighter than before and it will take some getting used to but over all I do like how it shifts. I would highly recommend dieselgeek.com. If I ever figure out how to post pics I took some of before and after the shifter linkage install. I also bought a beetle brace from them which fixes the problem of a broken door handle and it's another piece that is very well made and does the job.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Any updates? :confused:I am itching; to get a Sigma 6 soon, my shifter bushings are falling apart and the Sigma 6, has the added benefit of replacing all those sloppy worn and failing parts! :D I guess we can find rationalizations to buy anything! :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts