NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so now that I am baffled with my wifes fuse blowing..she decided to lose her KEY FML!! SO whats the process we have to go through to have the key replaced? Its is a 1998 New Beetle. Here is what her key looks like.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
You don't have an immobilizer so its much easier. This place: sidewindekey.com has original VW keys and can make copies. Good place to work with.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
They can not cut the key without either the 4-digit key code or a picture of the key to "read" it from. IF you have the Owner's Manual, original to the car, it should have the 4-digit code recorded on a sticker at the front of the Maitenance Booklet in your manual. VW will take the door apart to get the key code off the lock cylinder, if it can't be obtained from the VIN records. An automotive locksmith, a good one, has a camera that can be inserted in the door to visually read the code.

Find the key, it's not THAT lost, just misplaced, and then, GET A SPARE!

As I tell "newbies" all the time, and it 's too late for you, get that expensive spare key, whether you have an Immobilizer or not. Any way you go about a replacement, it's going to cost you more money. And in another thread running right now, the Orger is faced with also having to have the car towed 100 miles.
Lots of info on key and immobilzer in this thread!
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/52619-2002-beetle-help.html?highlight=immobilizer

MORAV

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
I believe they should be able to cut an immobilized key without that code though right? Its not laser cut but I know they cut the key for our Mk1 with just our VIN.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I believe they should be able to cut an immobilized key without that code though right? Its not laser cut but I know they cut the key for our Mk1 with just our VIN.
I think you mean a "non" - "Immobilized" key. There is a key code, regardless. It's not the VIN. A dealer should be able to obtain the 4-digit code (It actually may be more than four on the early models that didn't use either of the Immobilizer systems). to cut the key from the VIN. I would also assume, any automotive locksmith, who has the ability (and the subscription to the system) to program Immobilizer systems) also has access to the key codes by VIN.

Be prepared with you title and/or registration, and ID, they are not going to cut a key for someone walking in off the street with only a VIN. Most, however, unless you have a relationship with them, are going to charge for the service, some will not. Not everyone. however, has this option, because they may not have ready access to a Dealer, a local automotive locksmith, or the car may be their only means of transportation.

M.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts