NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive loss my keyless entry key , but I have a valet key . I was wondering could I buy a remote and program it with out cutting the key ?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,098 Posts
I think to actually program the remote, you need to have the key in the door. Luckily on a '99 there is no immobilizer so getting a key cut will be much easier and cheaper than a newer NB.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am currently looking into buying a key from eBay, Ill just get the key cut . Thanks for your help !

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
You can not cut a regular key from a valet key. Well you can, but then you'll have two valet keys. The pattern on the valet key is just slightly different. This is why the valet key will only work in the door and the ignition.

Talk to Mark (through the "Contact Us") at
sidewinderkey.com
or his eBay site
eBay Guides - VW Volkswagen immobilizer flip key fob remote guide haa

He, OR any good automotive locksmith doesn't need the four digit key code to cut a key, it can be done by visually reading the original key, but I don't know if a regular key can be cut from reading a valet key. Quite possibly, ask Mark.

Just reading the information he has on those two sites should give you a good insight about NB keys and remotes.

MORAV

·
5/23/10 <3
11,098 Posts
I'd try your key in the trunk and just see if it works. I had a remote and a valet and both worked everything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to get the keyless entry key cut at a dealership, I wont be using the valet key to cut the keyless entry key . Thats not what I was implying. What I was asking is if I program the remote will I still have to cut the key attached to it? Will the keyless entry key that the dealership give work for everything?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I'd try your key in the trunk and just see if it works. I had a remote and a valet and both worked everything.
The only NBs with trunks are the Verts, all others, have hatches. :p

The Valet Key is specifically designed to NOT operate the glove box lock. The OMs I checked don't specify whether it operates the hatch or not. Simply states it WILL NOT operate the lock in the glove box.

M.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,098 Posts
Its supposed to only work the doors and ignition. My "valet" worked everything.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Getting a flip key with remote will cost you less than getting the old separate remote. A 99 should have the key code on the door cylinder or they can try to copy your key(the valet key has a slightly different blank that won't fit in the glove box but they are cut the same) The Valet key uses a NAA blank and the regular key is HAA, tne NAA is slightly wider.

The key guy at sidewinderkey.com can help you find the key code.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts