NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else noticing a problem with their cookie duration?

Mine is forgetting who I am every 10-15 minutes.

And I am not logged into the old.org

·
Super Moderator
14,774 Posts
I am logged on now all the time. I get here in the morning, I don't need to sign in. But, until two days ago, I had to sign in every time.

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be just a random temporal anomaly..

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It might be the fact that I have the admin panel open in a ffox tab... I think that the admin panel is set to log you out after 10 minutes of inactivity which would then invalidate the cookie for the rest of the forum...

But of course I could be wrong and will soon have monkies flying out of my butt

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
CrazyJames said:
It might be the fact that I have the admin panel open in a ffox tab... I think that the admin panel is set to log you out after 10 minutes of inactivity which would then invalidate the cookie for the rest of the forum...

But of course I could be wrong and will soon have monkies flying out of my butt
Actually, that does make sense. I think the login is the same, so if you get logged out of the admin panel, it makes sense you'd also get logged out of the forums.

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could very well be, I made sure that I was not logged into the admin, went for lunch to clean up bird poop from my car..

And got logged out again.. yeeehaw!

·
Aphid is FUN!
1,747 Posts
It happened to me when I tried to look at this thread:lol: and I don't have any other windows open.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I'm having a weird cookie problem on my office PC (don't tell my boss I'm on this site during the day). If I got to www.newbeetle.org, I see what I think is the current homepage and says welcome back, hestersu. If I click on the recent threads link, it craps out and assumes I'm on the old forum. I'm not sure how to clear the old cookie. Anyone have any ideas?

My home PC works fine by the way.

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
hestersu said:
I'm having a weird cookie problem on my office PC (don't tell my boss I'm on this site during the day). If I got to www.newbeetle.org, I see what I think is the current homepage and says welcome back, hestersu. If I click on the recent threads link, it craps out and assumes I'm on the old forum. I'm not sure how to clear the old cookie. Anyone have any ideas?

My home PC works fine by the way.
What do you mean "it assumes I'm on the old forums?" What makes you think that? Does it direct you to forums.newbeetle.org, or newbeetle.org/forums? Do you get an error?

I'd like to help, but "it craps out" isn't enough info to go on.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I will get the exact error tomorrow. It does give me an error but I don't remember the exact error. I'll see what I can give you. I'm betting I need to clear my cookies but I don't know how.

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
I've changed the cookie setup on the OLD forums to only set cookies for FORUMS.newbeetle.org, not *.newbeetle.org. I <em>think</em> this will help some with these problems. You'll still need to clear your cookies and log out of the old forums, but I think from that point on the old forums shouldn't set any cookies that could conflict with the new forums and homepage.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Everything is working today. So never mind.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
I'm still having some issues with cookies.
I'm not on the old site... but the new site seems to log me out at random times.

Yesterday I had a rash of instances where the page header said I was logged in, recognized me properly, etc, as I was reading threads, but if I clicked reply... somewhere between the time that the reply form rendered (still showing me as logged in) and the time that I clicked on "submit reply", my cookies were lost. It told me "you are not allowed to post, blah blah blah, please log in"... and if I logged in, it was not forwarding over my post headers so my reply was lost in the ether.

Today, I haven't seen that particular behavior (yet), but I've had to log in all three times I've come to the site... even though I have the "remember be" check box checked.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Okay... so it appears that it's related to opening new browser windows from links, using FireFox.

I'm in the habit of right-clicking on links and selecting "Open in new window" wherever I go on the web.

This works on all other cookie-based sites I've visited while using FireFox, and it works on all cookie-based sites I've visited, including this one, while using IE... but when I try to do this using FireFox while visiting this site, I'll periodically lose my cookies. Doesn't even seem to be consistant as to the when and where. I can right click and open 3 links in new windows, but the forth or fifth or sixth one won't have access to the cookies.

The odd thing is... when I initially open the window, often (but not always) it appears that the cookies are in place (header has my username in it, etc). But if I refresh the page, the cookies are gone and the header has the login form in it.

Not sure if it's a newbeetle.org issue, a vBulletin3 issue, or a FireFox issue. I'm thinking it's nb.org... since, as I said, I don't seem to have any problems with cookies on other sites with FireFox... and I'm fairly sure that at least a couple of them are vBulletin-powered sites.

I'm not sure there are others than are using AJAX to the extent that the org, does, though. Could that be the issue?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts