VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:Went to pass a truck,head almost hit the windshield. Have searched for leaks. Checked plunger on turbo works when I added vacuum. My question is how can I check the solenoid to see if it is working? Can I crank it have someone rev the engine, add vac to make the plunger work to see if I get power? Thoughts on that. Don't like second guessing myself. Lack troubleshooting skills on a diesel. I can repair it just don't want to be doing needless task. Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
:confused:Went to pass a truck,head almost hit the windshield. Have searched for leaks. Checked plunger on turbo works when I added vacuum. My question is how can I check the solenoid to see if it is working? Can I crank it have someone rev the engine, add vac to make the plunger work to see if I get power? Thoughts on that. Don't like second guessing myself. Lack troubleshooting skills on a diesel. I can repair it just don't want to be doing needless task. Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Can you supply us with more info? Such as year/engine/drivetrain..and any CEL codes that may have triggered the light, or pending codes?

Is this the Turbo Diesel model as I suspect--or the gasser turbo?

S-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2005 New Beetle TDI

From what I have found this is a BEW. The turbo looks like a Borg Warner with the black solenoid working plunger. I put a reader I had on it and got a PO726 and a PO299 the first time it read. I reset and now no codes now ?? Thanks

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
16683/P0299/000665 - Ross-Tech Wiki

P0726 VOLKSWAGEN

P0726 VOLKSWAGEN - Engine Speed Input Circuit Range/Performance

Possible causes
- Faulty Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor
- Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Communication error between the Engine Control Module (ECM) and Transmission Control Module (TCM) Help with this
When is the code detected?
The P0726 Codes is triggered when the TCM detected that the calculated engine speed is greater than the RPM's received from ECM.
Symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
P0726 VOLKSWAGEN Description
The Engine Control Module (ECM) monitors the engine speed through the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor with the engine running, and send signal to the Transmission Control Module (TCM).

Read more: OBDII Code P0726 VOLKSWAGEN - Engine Speed Input Circuit Range/Performance | Nissanhelp.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Codes

I would assume these codes were triggered when I tried to drive the car home. Could drift almost enough down hill to make it up the other side. The only time I saw the codes were the first time I put a hand held reader on the system. When I reset the reader I do not see any codes. Thanks

·
BEAR
109 Posts
The P0726 Codes is triggered when the TCM detected that the calculated engine speed is greater than the RPM's received from ECM.
Symptoms
wow, never seen this before. Seems like a dealer check is in order to me. There are things I am willing to do and there are times when I know I am in over my head. This is definitely the "over my head" part.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dead Battery ?

When I tried to crank it about to days later the battery was dead. Recharged dead again. Wondering if something is shorted and causing all my problems. Would agree, may be time for dealer service or yet Bone Yard. Thanks:(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts