NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am not a car expert, at all. I can do some things but not a lot. I've always wanted a Beetle. I bought one in Florida almost three years ago and drove it home to Texas. It worked fine when I bought it and made the trip home without incident.

Almost as soon as I got it home, lots of little things happened -- the glove box handle broke off, the button to lower the electric convertible top broke through the plastic in the console, the driver's side headlight FELL OUT, most of the driver's side door panel has broken off.

If I were handy, I don't think any of these problems would be a big deal but since I'm not, they either don't get fixed or I pay someone to fix them. I love my Beetle (I've named her Myrtle). Myrtle still has low miles and runs great.

Are my experiences normal? I've read these posts and see where a lot of them have happened to others but all at the same time?

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Beetles are notorious for having brittle hardware on the inside. My glove box also had the same issue and I just went out and replaced the whole glovebox. As for the doors I'd recommend taking the panels off and refurbishing. I will include a link to a piece that I found particularly helpful when I did my doors. Beetlebrace
That's all the insight I can offer but don't worry about "not being handy" interior work is do-able by most anyone as a lot of it is held together with plastic clips. Hope this is helpful!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Do a search of this site you will find your experience is quite common to all VW’s. The good news is many of the fixes are very simple and easy.

Tune my euro has a section devoted to common repair items.

Tdiclub has a DIY section for many things related to diesels but almost all the interior, suspension and much of the electrical is the same across the MK4 platform, Beetle, Golf and Jetta.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here's the thing, Myrtle's plastic bits are gawdawful fragile and need to be treated very carefully. When things break, be sure to pick up the little shards of plastic, you can glue them back together.

Some things I've learned in the past three weeks: the interior door panels for the convertible are not interchangeable with the coupe. The switches on the left side are different. When you look for a replacement, worry about the color of the main part, the painted part can be painted to match--mine was $150 at Maico. Looks nice. I had no luck with the local JY's, ended up buying on Ebay.

On the headlights, the latching mechanisms are an easy and relatively cheap replacement, I paid $60 plus tax for a set of new ones. Worth not having a headlight fall out.

I ended up replacing the entire glove box, it latches, but the key lock doesn't work. When you replace it, it will be about is fragile as the original, latch it gently, don't slam it. We feel your pain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts