NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I noticed that my wife's beetle was running much louder than it usually does. This is a stock 2000 1.8L Turbo Beetle if it matters. I finally had the chance to get underneath it to take a look and found a 1/4 inch gap between the thing that looks like woven bamboo below the turbo charger and the beginning of the exhaust system. Sorry for the lack of terminology...I'm more of a computer guy than a car guy. Feel free to make fun of me as long as you give me useful information as well. Since a picture is worth 1000 words I attached a diagram I had with an error pointing to where the gap is.

First of all, could someone enlighten me on what the woven bamboo thing is called?

I haven't taken anything off to get a closer look, but how is it supposed to be attached? I assume it should, please tell me if I'm wrong.

Could this be the source of the extra noise? It sounds like when someone has had their muffler falls off.

Assuming something needs to be replaced here, does any one have any recommendations on if I can just replace a single component or if I need to replace the entire exhaust system.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hermantk,

The item you are asking about is a flex joint, it is welded in place.
Depending on the exact spot yours broke you have a couple of options:

If the factory weld broke and the flex joint is in good shape you maybe able to have it re-welded.

Replace the complete down pipe which includes the catalytic converter, expensive.

Have a muffler / exhaust shop remove and replace just the flex joint, probably you best and least expensive option.

Here are a couple of links to help you see what we are talking about, please note that I don't know the quality of these parts just places I have seen them advertised. Also note the eBay ad about using pliers is false.

Audi/VW 1.8T Flex Pipe (1) Save $$$ - Buy Now!!! | eBay

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Exhaust > Universal > ES#3540 Universal Flex Section (2 X 8) - Priced Each - FT20004N

Hope this helps.

K

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot! I've heard about the flex joint and did wonder which part it was. I also appreciate the suggestions, I'll evaluate my options and get it fixed.

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts