VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings

My teenage daughter has a 1999 GL 2.0 with auto transmission. Last summer there was a mishap when she loaned it to her older sister. The car blew its HG. My daughter then went off to college and didn't need it so it sat for a while. Last month I dove into it and pulled the motor. I put in new pistons, rings, crankshaft and rod bearings, new seals. I had the block and head checked and rebuilt the head. The car starts up and runs smooth except for this loud clanking noise. Once the engine and transmission reach operating temperature the noise goes away and it sounds like a normal bug

I shot a quick video for everyone to hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGuPDI2nqHk

Any thoughts on what this could be. Also as things warm up a bit if you put it into drive or reverse the noise dulls way down. Could it be transmission related? I would think if it was the engine it would happen all the time, although I could be wrong.

Thanks all.

Mike

·
Registered
758 Posts
Clanking is most definitely a bad thing. I think the other replies are good, so I'd check everything related to timing. When I replaced my timing belt and timing belt tensioner, it took some time, and watching a few YouTube videos, to finally understand just how to properly install the tensioner (tab on tensioner goes into depression on side of block, done by feel) and how to use the timing belt tensioner tool properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the idea. Ill check that first thing tommorow.

Curious question. Why would it stop once the engine and transmission warm up? I hope its that easy, dont get me wrong. I certainly dont want to have to start pulling the transmission out.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
It the cam timing is off a tooth or two it could be just barely causing an interference between the valves and pistons, leading to the noise and not completely breaking the engine. As the engine warms the head moves away from the crankshaft a bit due to thermal expansion and the noise stops. If this is what is happening and there is no permanent damage, you will have been very lucky.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good evening

So I took a close look at the timing belt. After setting the crank to TDC on piston 1 I verified the cam mark was indeed at the right position. After verifying that I decided to give some attention to the transmission. Using the refill method that is documented on the net I ended up draining over a quart of fluid from the transmission. I let the car cool for a while. On the next startup the clanking noise didn't exist.

So what happens when the tranmission has too much fluid? Im not sure how it go so overfull as I had put the same amount that I drained out when I took it off the car. Unless it was already overfilled.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Overfilling an automatic transmission is not good, but I'm not sure how that would cause any sort of clanking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts