VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 2.5L New Beetle and today the cooling fan seems to be a lot louder, first time I've noticed it. I've had the car for two years. The car has never overheated for the time I've had it. My online searches have ranged from its normal to it needs to be replaced. What are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I replaced one of my fans recently; I think I would look for these issues:

1. spin the fan by hand see if you think the bearings are binding

2. move the fan and check for play

3. check to see if all the speeds are working

In my case; the fan had play (forward/backward) and was starting to make contact with the fan shroud. These fans are not really made to be repaired; there are some threads, where people have attempted to install new bearings, clean/replace carbon brushes with some success. I attempted to take my motor apart and destroyed it in the process; I bought new fan/motor and installed it, problem solved!

Unfortunately, for the 2.5L; i believe the the fan is the larger and more expensive version. From my understanding; this has to do with the fact the fan controller is built into the assembly (one big fan vs. two smaller ones). Another reason; to possibly, consider repairing it, if you are adventurous.

[ 3 ] COOLING SYSTEM / COOLING / COOLING FAN / Fan assy
Part Number: 1C0959455F

Volkswagen National eStore
fan assy COUPE, 2.5 LITER

Dorman, seems to make a cheaper version; than a genuine vw part.

621-449
SHARE:
Radiator Fan Assembly With Controller
Application Summary: Volkswagen Beetle 2010-06

Dorman Products - 621-449

https://www.google.com/search?q=DOR...rome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=91&ie=UTF-8

VDO/SIEMENS/Continental seems to be the OEM for this fan;

part # VDO FA70829 Radiator Fan Assembly

you can look it up here: http://www.showmetheparts.com/ate_vdo/

Check ebay; there are some cheaper prices, someone has a Brose branded one for sale for $300.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have spun it by hand and it moved smoothly. Do you think cleaning it would possibly help it? I do live in a very dusty area.

Thank you for your input and the links. I had attempted to look it up and was shocked by the prices.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Yeah, the addition of the fan controller; makes things more expensive. So, what exactly is wrong; is it the bearings are noisy? Is there any; back/forth play or is it making contact with the fan shroud? Bearings, just wear out eventually and at that point, the fan needs repaired or replaced. The carbon brushes/bearings; seems to be the typical failure modes. After 9 years; things are going to get louder and be worn.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't sound like anything is grinding or scrapping. It sounds like a jet taking off. I've never heard it before.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Maybe make a video with your phone and post it on youtube, give us the link, so we can hear/watch it? Maybe, you are referring to the secondary air injection pump or a leaking pcv valve? When does the noise happen; first start up, when it is cold, hot, etc.? You could also; disconnect the fan, to eliminate that and see if the sound is still there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It happens a couple of minutes after start up and stays on. I'll take a video tomorrow and upload it.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
A couple of minutes; is pretty quick, for the fans to be kicking on? At 2 minutes; I would think, the "cold" light, might still be on and the engine is not quite up to operating temps?

The "fan" that typically comes on at a cold start; is inside the secondary air injection pump and it can sound like a jet engine, when worn out, can really be loud. Another typical issue with the older style air pump; was the pump rubber mounts, when they fail, the air pump will make rattle sounds. The newer 2.5L; has a different style but it is worth a check anyway. The pump itself; typically fails from bad, internal bearings. The fan/pump; generally run for a little while and then shut off; so, from what your are saying, that may not be it? After warm up; the sound is there all the time?

[ 3 ] EMISSION SYSTEM / EMISSION SYSTEM / EMISSION COMPONENTS / A.I.R. pump
Volkswagen Part Number: 07K131333A

a.i.r. pump COUPE, 2.5 LITER

Volkswagen National eStore

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
That is a very short clip but I hear injector/possibly valve train noise (normal?) and a fan, going into a high speed mode? Really need a longer clip and possibly, from different points of view, would be helpful. As noted; for the time it's been on the car and mileage; it could be worn/noisy? There are two ways of looking at replacing parts; preventative maintenance (wear) and when they stop working (failure but that could possibly damage the engine, if not addressed). In the long view; if it is worn, it will only get worse with time and may cause cooling problems or help increase a draw on the wiring, melt the fuse box. There is always the; "pay now or pay more later", scenario, which may or may not be the case here.

On the other hand; it could be fine, although noisy and continue to work for years?! Not being able to see the car in real life and only seeing a short video clip; it is hard to give a good sense of what the situation is. Maybe, run it by a trusted friend who works on cars or a pro shop; get a second opinion? As they say; two eyeballs are better than one! :)

As I said; I replaced my fan, that for the average person would not have bothered them and may have ran for quite a while longer. It was worn, made noise when spun by hand and was making some contact with the fan shroud (the contact; was my primary reason I replaced it). Personally, I can't stand when something crucial (like a cooling system component); is noisy and worn, could cause problems down the road. After I installed the new one; it was quieter and my a/c was colder too, BONUS! This was a nice side benefit; living in the desert of New Mexico.

Ultimately, you have to make a judgement call and move on with your life, I'm sure there are other aspects of the car that need attention as well?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The other noises are normal the clicking I only noticed recently and only when it's cold outside and not all of the time.

Why would a fan go into high mode when the car is stationary and the "cold" light is still on? The vent was barely on and no AC.

My moms fiancé said it sounds like the motor is going out.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I have not clue; why it would go into high speed mode, it shouldn't go that high when it is cold. Is the fan on high speed; all the time? Maybe, the controller is messed up/bad or someone rigged it to stay on all the time? I have seen; people bypass the fan controller and just hook it up directly to power and the fans ran on high 24/7 and then the fans got worn out. Is the wiring harness; look hacked or modified? If the fan is worn out; you could replace it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never noticed the noise until Monday and today it started doing it and than I noticed that the car sounded normal again and I checked and the fan was off!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ha guys my 2006 vw cooling fan sounded like a jet plane. So I bought a new one. About. 350.00 dollars. Installed it. The new one was just as loud as the old one. So I was on google half the night looking for answers. Come to find out it was the cooling temp sensor Drivers side of car by t- stat housing. Replaced it for 17.00 dollars advanced auto. Parts. Fixed the problem. Don’t ask me why I think something to do with sensor goes through computer controlling the fan speed. Any how that fixed the loud noise. Give it a try before buying new fan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts