NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Our '06 NBC has just started a weird behaviour since last week.

When the car is started with the engine still being cold there's a really loud noise like a fan starting. If you turn it off and then back on the sound goes away. Now if you start the car again there's no noise until the engine is cold (like 5 or 6 hours later). It's an european 1.6 Gasoline model.

When the sound is there it looks as it comes from the back part of the engine if you look at it opening the hood.

Does anybody know if this is normal and what can cause that noise? In 6 years it had not happened.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
135 Posts
That should be your secondary air injection pump. It's a big black and heavy piece, usually on the front side next to the power steering fluid. It has 2 hoses, one the the air box and one to the lower part of your engine. You may have a leak in one of those hoses or the pump it self may be going bad. The pump can be removed but you will have your check engine light.
Pump should be right there:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies guys!

I'll try to lift the car this weekend, remove the pump and get it fixed.

I'll tell you how it all ends.

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
I believe that's what everyone said was what was making mine sound like a jet engine spooling up when I start my car. I think it sounds kinda cool. It turns off after 30 seconds to a minute.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems the problem is gone now. As you said the fan sound disappeared after 1 minute or so.

I had a little time yesterday to take off the plastic cover of the engine and take a look, and I saw there was a loose hose in the pump.

I hope that was all.

Do you know if the check engine light goes out by itself or do I have to take to the mechanic to have it reset?

Thanks for you hints guys ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great pic! I have just replaced all the rivets and mounts on my secondary air pump (SAP) following instructions from an earlier thread. Now I have a cracked air hose from the pump to combi (EGR) valve. Its only money.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Great pic! I have just replaced all the rivets and mounts on my secondary air pump (SAP) following instructions from an earlier thread. Now I have a cracked air hose from the pump to combi (EGR) valve. Its only money.
Electrical tape will work on the hose in a pinch. 59cents at most AutoParts stores ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts