VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
'02 Snap Orange 1.8T/5spd
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of the horns on our Beetle's twin-horn set up was dead. A buddy who's into Saab's sent me a twin-horn set up off a 9 3, saying they were considered to be the loudest horns.

Installation took about 10min. with the Saab horns mounting in the original location, using the original 10mm headed bolt. My buddy sent me the Saab's horn electrical connector with a foot of wiring attached, so I just cut the connector off on of the VW horn harnesses (there are 2) and used crimped butt-splice connectors to connect the VW harness to the Saab harness.

Very pleased with the result.....and loud? Uh.....ya.

They're on ebay all day long, if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sounds like a great mod I'd be interested in. If I bought the Saab horns, where could I get the Saab horn connector pigtails?

·
'02 Snap Orange 1.8T/5spd
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'll try to get a sound video up.

Re: the pigtail, you wouldn't really need one, because you could just "T" into the existing 2 black wires that span from one horn to the other. I've added a photo of the back side, showing the wires, to my initial post. But maybe you could ask the ebay seller(s) if they can provide a short portion of the original harness.

To give an idea of how loud they are, today my daughter took (and passed) her driving test....in a 5spd, no less!....and the DMV test lady actually jumped when she asked for the horn check.:rolleyes:

Video as promised:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsfoAiZMpPg

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
So, seriously, how much louder then the OEM beetle horns, are these?

And, are they an obvious, different sounding pitch?

Just curious.

·
Yay!! Finally got a Bug!!
128 Posts
When I finally get another Bug , I have been kicking around the idea of putting a toggle switch in . One setting to the regular horn , the other to a train air horn . The last time I owned a Bug , people seemed to not see me on the road and I nearly got wiped out more than once . Perhaps a good blast from a train horn will wake these people up!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts