NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 New Beetle with a 2.0 liter engine. I had just replaced the headlight and was starting to pull up the driveway when i stalled the car trying to put it in gear on the slope. I turned it on again and heard a loud ticking noise coming from the passenger side of the engine. It was loud enough that I couldn't hear the engine. My VW friend thinks it's the timing belt. But i want a second opinion. Any help would be great.

·
SUNKIST
14 Posts
Take the timing belt inspection cover off and look at the integrity of the belt, probably heard belt slapping the cover, on the other hand it could have been your pistons slapping the valves. One scenario cheap the other expensive. Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the inspection cover but i'm having trouble taking it off. I found the 2 silver clips. Am i missing something else that's holding the cover on?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
With those clips off, you should be able to pull the cover back enough to get to the belt. Feel it to see how tight it is. And with a flashlight you should be able to see teeth on the belt.

I would say, turn the car on and try to pinpoint the noise that way. There could be a lot of things making noises.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the belt and tensioner look good. and there's no little bits sitting in the bottom of the cover. But now i can't get the cover back on.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Another question...how many miles on the car and do you know the timing belt change history on it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ticking noise is gone and it's back to the normal clicking noise in the engine block. It has about 150k on it and i think it's been changed. I just don't know where my dad keeps the documentation.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
You need to verify if/when it was done. You may be looking at second change now really. Should really be done every 60-80k/5-6 years, whichever comes first. And often its something like the tensioner or water pump that gives out. Just because a piece *looks* ok, doesn't mean it is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts