VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to give this a shot just in case anyone else has had problems with this. We bought a 1999 NB this spring (posted pics here) with many great mods. When we test drove it, there was a loud rattling either in the dash or under the hood. My husband said he would find and fix it and I shouldn't let the noise stop me from buying it if that was the only problem. Well turns out that was the only problem so we bought the NB and still haven't figured out what is causing the noise. :confused:

I'll try to describe it as best I can: It usually only happens when it is time to shift gears(manual) when the rpms are high - sounds like a vibration of something. It is worse in cooler weather and stops when gear is shifted until ready to shift into next gear then starts again. :rolleyes:

Any ideas as to where we might start looking? I would be happy to provide more info if needed, just don't know what might be helpful. It is really annoying and frustrating that we can't figure out what is causing it! :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Sounds sort of tinny? Kind of like it comes from the middle of the car?

Could be the catalytic convertor. Good luck, because VW bumped up the warranty on it to cover the failures. :D

-Des

·
ROBYN
16 Posts
I Think I Have A Suggestion For You. I Recently Called Vw Because I Bought A New Beetle A 2000 This Past September. It Already Has A Blown Head Gasket Due To The Water Pump Failing. Anyways They Gave Me A List Of Warranty Extension For 1999-2001 Beetle The Problem (catalytic Converter) It States That It Makes A Loud Rattiling Noise You May Want To Call The Vw Customer Service And Register Your Vehicle 800.822.8987 And Give Your Vin Number They Should Be Able To Tell You About Recalls And Warranty Info I Hope This Helps

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
i have this problem as well and just figured it was a loose heat shield or something along those lines...guess i better check my cat

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Robyn029 said:
I Think I Have A Suggestion For You. I Recently Called Vw Because I Bought A New Beetle A 2000 This Past September. It Already Has A Blown Head Gasket Due To The Water Pump Failing. Anyways They Gave Me A List Of Warranty Extension For 1999-2001 Beetle The Problem (catalytic Converter) It States That It Makes A Loud Rattiling Noise You May Want To Call The Vw Customer Service And Register Your Vehicle 800.822.8987 And Give Your Vin Number They Should Be Able To Tell You About Recalls And Warranty Info I Hope This Helps
Thank you for the suggestion. I called the number you gave me and was told there was a recall for the ECM or Electronic Control Module and an exteneded warranty offerred on the window brackets that have been breaking but none on the catalytic converter but she said they are "sensitive" to the problem and if the diagnostics showed a problem, they would more than likely cover it under warranty, but if it didn't, I would have to pay for the diagnotic test. :( Since I'm not workng at the moment, I guess that'll have to wait. I had already had to window problem fixed because my passenger side window stopped operating and they didn't say anything about the ECM so maybe that wasn't in the system at the time. Did you have the noise and did they get it fixed?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Deserion said:
Sounds sort of tinny? Kind of like it comes from the middle of the car?

Could be the catalytic convertor. Good luck, because VW bumped up the warranty on it to cover the failures. :D

-Des
Would this involve the ECM? VW had a recall on that on record but not on the catalytic convertor.

·
New Beetle Accessories
1,226 Posts
We had a similar rattle/vibration with our '98. Turned out to be a broken exhaust clamp.

Good luck!!:D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, I think I hit the wrong post to reply on my question, which was, would the ECM have anything to do with the catalytic converter? I was told it could also be a cracked heat shield - isn't that around the catalytic converter...so if it is one of these things associated with the cat, would it be covered under the extension on the warranty?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.