NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
RAWRAWRAWRAWR
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my fellow bug owners! I just have a quick little question for ya'll in hopes that I can pin down this problem I'm having in my bug.

I've recently installed some new speakers into my 2000 diesel bug but I've noticed a pretty strong buzz coming from the passenger door. I didn't notice the vibration before with the old speakers but they sounded pretty bad so I was unable to tell if the sound existed before or after the new instillation.

I thought the problem could be solved by a little sound deading foam so I plastered the door with it but alas, the vibration still persists.

We did recently have to take the door apart to fix the window pulley which had snapped. Did we maybe forget to screw something down inside the door that I should be made aware of? The sound seems like it's coming from inside the actual door.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Does it change with the speed of the vehicle? Maybe with the revs of the motor. Mine does the same thing,after I replaced my speakers. I just push my elbow against the door card behind the pull handle
and it goes away. I'm thinking the inside has become separated, and I need to take it back apart and put some panel bond in there to get it glued back together.
I'm sure others have had the same problem, and will chime in soon! Oh, by the way welcome to the new Beetle .org :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
I've not taken apart the door, however on the rear seat panels they are held to the body of the car with plastic tabs. On my old car those have slowly broken over the years causing a lot of noise.

Did the door have any plastic clips/tabs? If so you may have broke one when taking the door panel off and that is where your noise is coming from and why holding the door in a certain spot makes it go away.

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
I agree with what the other two had to say about this. There is only one other thing I can think of, and that is a blown speaker, but you said that you just replaced them so that obviously is not the case. Try getting some dynamat around the speaker where it touches the door and see if that solves the problem. You could also put some in where you think the door card is touching the door and see if that helps. Another idea: if you ran new wire for an external amp or straight from your head unit, it may be that that wire is loose in the door and the speaker is making that buzz against something inside the door. Thats really all I can think of that could be causing that problem. Best of luck and let us know what it actually was if you find out!

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Does it change with the speed of the vehicle? Maybe with the revs of the motor. Mine does the same thing,after I replaced my speakers. I just push my elbow against the door card behind the pull handle
and it goes away. I'm thinking the inside has become separated, and I need to take it back apart and put some panel bond in there to get it glued back together.
I'm sure others have had the same problem, and will chime in soon! Oh, by the way welcome to the new Beetle .org :)
This doesn't help the OP... but that engine noise interference will go away when you change the ground for the stereo. ;)

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
Way to hijack a thread, but I also am very excited for the drive :) I just hope I can come up with the money to get my engine rebuilt before the drive or I will have to drop out :(

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
I just can't even hardly wait, until the Talimena drive this fall. I'm really looking forward to meeting some new friends from north of the border. Red River that is!:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Awhhh yeah! It's gonna be a blast! :D

·
RAWRAWRAWRAWR
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thread hijacking is completely OK with me. Ya'll sound very excited.

Also wanted to say thank you guys for the help. A mixture of extra sound deading tar/foam mats and a robust shoulder slam to the door seems to have solved the problem.

Who said violence is never the answer?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts