NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, yellowherbie inspired me to start this thread. I guess more rambling for me, but maybe you will enjoy the story at least?

Earlier this year, I was 1 of 3 managers at GameStop. Both managers left, we got some new guys who sucked. One of the younger employees (must be like 17 years old) decides to smack me on the butt as I'm bending down to pick something up. I had been harassed before at other jobs, so at this point, I'm tired of crap like that. So I told our Assistant Manager, and he didn't seem to like it either. A few days go by, and I hear nothing from anyone. The DM is in one day, and he says before he leaves "[the store manager] will talk to you about things I've said regarding your issues." He basically tells me to keep quiet about what happened, and if I tell Human Resources, I will be fired. "It's not worth it, for a 17 year old kid" he says. I had even given an ultimatum, saying if he wasn't at least fired, then I would just transfer stores. Unforunately, I had ONE bad sales day, and because of that I was not allowed to transfer. Messed up? Just wait, there's more.

A week goes by, and I haven't seen the kid since. Another employee comes up to me and says "I've been hearing bad things recently." He basically told me how the managers have been spreading all these rumors and lies about people, and they talk all this trash. Of course, the majority was about me. They're mad that I had called the DM once without telling them (so what?), they spread all kinds of lies that I was stealing from the store, I am brainwashing people, I didn't really take a vacation when I said i did (why on earth would i do that??), that they were already training a replacement for me, etc etc. I quit immediately upon hearing that.

This was long enough, congratulations if you got this far ;) Any comments, stories, from others?

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
You quit!?!

Why not get some pitbull lawyer to make their lives miserable for a while at no charge to you? Thats some BS they're getting away with!

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know, I don't really know. I wanted to leave there pretty bad at that point, and pretty quickly, so after I was gone I guess I just wanted to forget about it. I should've done something though.

Moral of the story: Don't let people screw with you like that and just run away! Because then you'll regret it like me.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
GINA said:
You know, I don't really know. I wanted to leave there pretty bad at that point, and pretty quickly, so after I was gone I guess I just wanted to forget about it. I should've done something though.

Moral of the story: Don't let people screw with you like that and just run away! Because then you'll regret it like me.
I would've brought a tape recorder around with me. I would've called alllll the higher ups. etc, etc. you were taken advantage of. I should know, i was accused of harassing someone once. It's no laughing matter. If you could hire a lawyer you could probably sue the store still. creating a mentally unsafe environment and speaking of conifdential matters with coworkers and indirect threats of consequences if you pursued your legal rights?? Honey...get on this one! Fight the man! I hate GameStop!

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Wow, what a lot of drama. You have rights under Section VII of the Civil Rights Act in regards to sexual harassment. In the 1991 revision, if a company rep is informed of it and doesn't take action then both the individual and the company are liable. You should have threatened legal action. If you were fired, you could have gotten a lawyer and sued them for wrongful termination and gotten backpay and legal costs covered.

It sounds like the company you worked for has a lot of yahoos on the front lines and had you been smart about it, you could have really cashed in.

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
I was sexually harassed for a long time here at work. I complained. I filed report after report. Nothing happened. This man was constantly making sexually explicit comments to me but never touched me...until one day. I was sitting at my desk (and at the time I was in position of authority) and he came up behind me and put his hands on my sides and started tickling me. Well I flipped! I jumped up out of my chair and slapped him! I was so tired...this had been going on for at least 2 years at this point. Wouldnt you know I was told because I retaliated that if they reported him they would have had to reoprt me also? I know what i did was wrong...I stooped to his level but a person can only take so much of that stuff before they snap. I'm surprised I didnt snap sooner! I still work in the same place but I have a new position and this man doesnt work with me at all. I barely ever see him thank god...but the fact the he even has a job here pisses me off! He pulled some BS stuff recently with lying about getting hurt here at work so he could be off of work for 45 days and get paid...they knew he lied and he still got paid. He wasnt reprimanded for this or anything. How do people get away with this stuff? I know if I tried to pull something like that I would have gotten fired. :mad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts