NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '08 low pressure light is on, so, I checked all the tires (even the spare). One was low so I filled it, drove, nothing. So I brought it someplace. They rechecked all the air and my tpms sensors. All are good. He showed me a code, something about drive 15mph then let it sit for 20 min ( if I listen correctly, he was in a rush). So I did that but the light is still on. I read about a button in the glove compartment that resets it, but I do not have any buttons. Then I read something about hitting the ESP button, but I don't want to touch anything without asking first.

The light is solid when driving, but flashes when you first turn it on then goes to solid. Any advice?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
See my comments here - http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/140521-tpms.html

The TPMS light can be on for a variety of reasons, it could be due to low tire press pressure in one of more tires. It could be on due to low batteries in one or more sensors, it could be on due to a fault with the main TPMS controller. The spare tire does not typically have a TPMS sensor installed because the spare will have a TPMS sensor installed because the tire needs to rotate in order for the TPMS sensors to report.

Most likely one more low batteries in the TPMS sensors. They are 10 years old at this point and the batteries are likely weak. I replaced ALL the TPMS sensors in my 2005 GMC Yukon at year 9 and this was after 1 of the sensors was intermittent and then finally quite responding.

Costco is the largest TPMS sensor retailer in the country, they typically charge around $45 for each sensor replacement.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to follow up on this, I had nails in TWO of my tires that the shop somehow failed to notice. Won’t be going back there again. Lol. Tpms is working perfectly!

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
Huh! Glad you got it fixed! Not finding the nails and leaks, makes you lose faith in that tire shop. :banghead: Good you didn't give up and kept, trying to figure out the problem. Many times, it is all about being persistent, working through things, keep trying and eventually, finding the culprit! Good job! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
On wifes last Beetle, the tyre pressure light would regularly come on. First couple of times I took it into the dealer who reset it for free. The third time I asked him how to do it (to save me coming back). That one was pressing a button in the glove box. Once I knew how to do it, the bloody thing never went off again

·
Member Since 2002
135 Posts
Mine keeps on lighting up. I went the first six months of my 2017 Dune without it going on at all, then it started to go on for a few days then off and then back on and then off... This continued for months up until December sometime. I had checked the pressure of my tires and all seemed good (if not a little high for what's recommended on the door). Last week I brought it in to the dealer for its first service and told them about the tire pressure indicator light keeps going on and off. They told me that VWs are very sensitive and it is normal for it go on and off like the way I described.

Is this really the case? My previous VW was a 2002, and didn't have any tire pressure sensors.

I said it hasn't come back on since mid-December, but they said it would most likely come back on again and it's normal.

How can this be "normal"? Isn't this the case of the boy crying wolf? What is the point of the alert light if it is going to give so many false alerts?

Well, sure enough, about 5 days later, it is back on again. Sigh.

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
I don't' have a VW with these sensors but is it possible, to try another VW dealer for repairs (e.g. "get a second opinion")? When you are still under warranty; I always had my dealer fix things but many problems, were never resolved or repaired. No matter, how many times; I brought up certain problem, they alway said "everything is fine" and did not resolve things. Many VW dealerships; just want you to go away and get out the door; so, they can work with the next car that comes in. You might try another VW dealership that is more responsive to your needs, discuss your issues with the service manager and/or call VW Customer Care and complain or at least log the issue, so you have a history they can refer to. Be persistant and don't give up; it never hurts, to talk to another VW dealer, to see what they say. As the saying goes; the "squeaky wheel gets the grease"!

Contact Us

·
Member Since 2002
135 Posts
I don't' have a VW with these sensors but it is possible, to try another VW dealer for repairs (e.g. "get a second opinion")? When you are still under warranty; I always had my dealer fix things but many problems, were never resolved or repaired. No matter, how many times; I brought up certain problem, they alway said "everything is fine" and did not resolve things. Many VW dealerships; just want you to go away and get out the door; so, they can work with the next car that comes in. You might try another VW dealership that is more responsive to your needs, discuss your issues with the service manager and/or call VW Customer Care and complain or at least log the issue, so you have a history they can refer to. Be persistant and don't give up; it never hurts, to talk to another VW dealer, to see what they say. As the saying goes; the "squeaky wheel gets the grease"!

Contact Us
This is exactly what I was thinking as well. Thanks.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
My husband has a GLI with pressure sensors and has had no issues with his. The only time that it came on, he did have low pressure in a tire. Sometimes if its very cold, it can cause the light to come on until they warm up, but other than that, no, they shouldn't be coming on and off.

·
Member Since 2002
135 Posts
My husband has a GLI with pressure sensors and has had no issues with his. The only time that it came on, he did have low pressure in a tire. Sometimes if its very cold, it can cause the light to come on until they warm up, but other than that, no, they shouldn't be coming on and off.
Thanks for sharing. Today I manually checked the pressure on all four tires (I forgot to check the spare) and they were all good. So I decided to use the reset switch in the glovebox to get rid of the dashboard light. If it continues to be a problem, I may bring it to different dealership to see what they say.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On wifes last Beetle, the tyre pressure light would regularly come on. First couple of times I took it into the dealer who reset it for free. The third time I asked him how to do it (to save me coming back). That one was pressing a button in the glove box. Once I knew how to do it, the bloody thing never went off again
Question: The tire pressure light on my 2019 Final Edition Beetle comes on about once every 2 months. When I take it to the dealer, they usually find a tire that's a little bit low and reset the light. Curious to know if the pressure on your wife's Beetle was actually low or if the light just kept coming on?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts