NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

My 2000 2 litre new beetle has really low compression across all 4 cylinders - readings of between 40 and 50 psi. The hand-held diagnostics show a problem on Cylinder 2. The engine fires and runs, albeit rough on idle. Oil light flashes and buzzer sounds at revs above 2000.

What can causes such low compression readings - does this indicate major engine rebuild needed or is there some other reason why the pressure should be so low? There is a coolant leak, likely an internal leak - I had presumed it was the head gasket, but I am not so sure now....

Recently I have changed out the water pump, the thermostat and the timing belt - the leak still persists and it's still pushing vapour out through the exhaust. The cooling system seems to be overly pressurised. I had thought that the flashing oil light was likely due to some water getting into the oil and so proper lubrication was not getting to the top of the engine. .....

Any help/advice would be warmly welcomed!

Thanks,

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
I wish I had an answer for you Rob. Have you got any error codes showing? From my limited experience I think your assumption of a head gasket issue could be heading down the right path.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts