NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've read in the manual that when the low fuel light goes on, you have 1.9 gallons of fuel remaining. has anyone actually verified that and drove their car until it ran out of gas? since my fuel guage, like most other NB owners, seems to be way off, i am a little leary of trusting the low fuel light telling me i have about 2 gallons left.

since i am getting about 26 mpg in town, i would guess i'd have about 50 miles until empty, but i just don't trust it since when i've driven 170 miles on a full tank, my fuel gauge reads 3/4 tank full. :(

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
callisto9 said:
i've read in the manual that when the low fuel light goes on, you have 1.9 gallons of fuel remaining. has anyone actually verified that and drove their car until it ran out of gas? since my fuel guage, like most other NB owners, seems to be way off, i am a little leary of trusting the low fuel light telling me i have about 2 gallons left.

since i am getting about 26 mpg in town, i would guess i'd have about 50 miles until empty, but i just don't trust it since when i've driven 170 miles on a full tank, my fuel gauge reads 3/4 tank full. :(
Here is something else to consider.... if the tank is low (let's say less than 1/8 of a tank), when the remaining fuel sloshes around, there is a possibility the pump will "suck air". This is hard on a fuel pump and might cause it to fail prematurely. I always fill up my vehicles 1/4 or above to be on the safe side.

On our 2000, one day we were a little above the red and the warning light had not come on, but I had a loss of power every few minutes... filled up at the next exit and problem went away. Which is why I don't think the gauge on our car is reading correctly.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am sure i shouldn't be messing with it, but i am trying to figure MPG, so i thought knowing that the low fuel light actually meant 1.9 gallons left would help.

·
enjoyin the view !
2,018 Posts
also your fuel pump uses the gasoline to cool its self ,so running it low can also cause it to overheat and like said before if it starts sucking air , you could casue damage also , my son had a jetta that he ran low and ii ended up pulling the pump out of it and testing it , it seemed to have a vapor lock situation and since it sucked air it wouldnt pull any gas , after i pulled the pump and unhooked it all ,, it seem to run fine , just figure your milage from how many galons you fill at , first ckick to first click usally is fairly accurate
2.0 should get 28 to 30 + hwy
tdi 45 +
turbo ,,,cant tell you i dont know anyone that drives a turbo that cares about milage ,,lol

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
And finally... driving your car until it's completely out of gas (won't run anymore) has the potential of seriously damaging the catalytic converter... or so I hear. So I wouldn't recommend testing your theory. It could turn out to be a fairly expensive experiment.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fair enough. was just wondering. i think i was down to a gallon...so i put about 13.5 gallons in. $39. ouch.

as far as filling gallons "click to click" well, any of you who know me, know i have the fuel filling problem. it clicked off about 7-8 times today when putting in 13 or so gallons. 1.7 gallons, 3.6 gallons, 7.8 gallons, etc. grrrr.

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,311 Posts
hmmm..i guess i shouold go get gas. The needle has been at the bottom of the gauge for 2 days now. I only drive about 2 1/2 miles to work though. I hope I make it to the gas station. :lol:

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CyberGreenBaby said:
hmmm..i guess i shouold go get gas. The needle has been at the bottom of the gauge for 2 days now. I only drive about 2 1/2 miles to work though. I hope I make it to the gas station. :lol:
i was on E for about two days. i have a 4 mile drive to work, so i could have gone for awhile without filling up. shoot, i'm gettin' a moped! screw this $3/gallon gas crap! :D

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,311 Posts
callisto9 said:
i was on E for about two days. i have a 4 mile drive to work, so i could have gone for awhile without filling up. shoot, i'm gettin' a moped! screw this $3/gallon gas crap! :D
Hey! If I could get my toches out of bed in time I could probably walk or bike it but it's also a really busy intersection that I have to cross. I'm not riskin my life for the IRS lol

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tribangle said:
I would be careful filling up 13.9 gallons. I thought that the tank size was 12.7 gallons. If that is the case, that means that there is gas in the filler neck to the tank, and that is not good.
i believe tank capacity is 14.5 gallons.

·
Registered
125 Posts
you should be able to calculate the fuel consumption without running to empty... do it over a few tanks so that it is a better average of your driving..
my conversion may be a little off but i currently pay US$3.60/gallon.
what is the octane rating of the fuel you have?
Australia has 92,95 or 98 octane fuel.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
blutopless2 said:
you should be able to calculate the fuel consumption without running to empty... do it over a few tanks so that it is a better average of your driving..
my conversion may be a little off but i currently pay US$3.60/gallon.
what is the octane rating of the fuel you have?
Australia has 92,95 or 98 octane fuel.
we have 87, 89, 91 and 93 octane here. right now, gas is about 2.05 for regular (87 octane).

·
Registered
125 Posts
i thought you had higher octane fuel than that.
How many kW do they quote the 2.0L motor to have for the US and what octane fuel can you run on?

Here we can run the 2.0L on anything over 92 octane and motor is rated at 85kW and 172Nm

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
blutopless2 said:
i thought you had higher octane fuel than that.
How many kW do they quote the 2.0L motor to have for the US and what octane fuel can you run on?

Here we can run the 2.0L on anything over 92 octane and motor is rated at 85kW and 172Nm
the beetle here is supposed to use 87 octane. many people will say that anything over that is a waste of money. however, some people will use higher octane fuel for better performance, or so they say. as for the other specs you asked about, i have no idea!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts