NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 vw beetle with the 1.8l turbo. Replaced the timing belt approx. 8 months ago. Car ran fine till recently. The car idle's real low and occasionally stalls. when accelerating and at high rpm's the car seems to run fine. sometimes the rpm's at idle jump up and down but mainly just a low rpm. the cel is on also and brings up a PO34O code and others. Don't remember the exact codes but the guy at the parts store said they were:
Ingnition timing P0340
Knock sensor
evaportive emissions
secondary air injection
hope you guys can help having a tough time figuring out this problem. I did replace the cam shaft sensor. which i should have waited on. That dam thing is expensive.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I have a 2002 vw beetle with the 1.8l turbo. Replaced the timing belt approx. 8 months ago. Car ran fine till recently. The car idle's real low and occasionally stalls. when accelerating and at high rpm's the car seems to run fine. sometimes the rpm's at idle jump up and down but mainly just a low rpm. the cel is on also and brings up a PO34O code and others. Don't remember the exact codes but the guy at the parts store said they were:
Ingnition timing P0340
Knock sensor
evaportive emissions
secondary air injection
hope you guys can help having a tough time figuring out this problem. I did replace the cam shaft sensor. which i should have waited on. That dam thing is expensive.
Where did you take it to have it scanned? It is unlikely that it will only throw one code on a Vag com. Before you start replacing any more parts at random then crossing your fingers and hope for a miracle I would take it to someone that knows what they are doing and have the car scanned by a VW service professional or at least a friend with a Vag Com that knows how to use it. Since you mentioned possible problems with the ignition timing I would have your coil packs checked. They are known to fail and even crack. That is easily checked with a Vag Com. You can also take the engine cover off and take a spray bottle with water and spray a fine mist over the coil packs. If you see any kind of sparks or arching you have a bad coil pack. Don't just replace one. Get a set and swap them out. It will save your headaches in the future.
Another suggestion is to check your spark plugs. They can tell you if you are running lean or rich. Another suggestion is to clean you injectors with some "Seafoam" It's the greatest stuff on earth. I don't believe in additives but this stuff has been developed by the military and has been around since World War 2. Put one bottle of this stuff in your tank prior to filling it up and let it do it's job. After one tank your injectors will be a lot cleaner than before. No need to do this more than twice a year. When I first start buying Seafoam that stuff was only about $4.99. Now it has doubled in price and Autoparts stores sell it for $9.99. Sometimes you can find it on sale for $7.99 or Buy one get one Free.
Another suggestion is to swap out the spark plugs.
A clean set of spark plugs make a huge difference in performance, gas mileage and how the car runs. Not sure if you ever heard of E3 Spark plugs? I never have until someone recommended them to me. My 2000 VW Beetle has been Revo Tuned and that made a huge difference in performance and even with 157k miles on the clock my little beetle runs circles around those newer 2.5 Beetles. :) Anyway, I did change my spark plugs to the E3 kind and believe it or not I could feel a little pick up and throttle response. It's not the BAMM seat in the pants performance difference that I got from the REVO tune but nevertheless there was a difference. Gas mileage stayed about the same so I can't really say that they increased my mileage but I believe they are as good if not better than the more expensive NGK plugs. You don't have to gap them which I like and they are an easy swap. Here is a link to Autowarehouse which sells them cheaper than O'Reileys where I bought them from. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=0&Ntt=spark plug&Nr=AND(universal:0)&Ntk=Main&No=10&Npp=10
For some reason the link doesn't go directly to the right page. Anyway, your car will need the E3 Part #: PYRE364 Mfr #: E3.64
Also another thing you may want to switch if you haven't done so in a while is your fuel filter. If it is clogged it will reduce performance and mileage as well.

Good luck to you. I hope you get your 02 Beetle back and running in no time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts