NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to get away from Low Profile Tires. In my opinion they suck. Right now have 225-45-17 on the car. What size can I go to in a more tradition tire type, looking for smoother ride and a more durable time.

Appreciate any help!

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
You can go to a 15" wheel with no issues. That will give you much more sidewall. I use a 15" steel wheel on my my wife's car for winter (stock wheels are 17")

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
235/50/17 rear 225/50/17 front no problems. This size tire provides a much smoother comfortable ride as they are more common to the luxury car market. I was running to 35 in the front also, but I had to do a little modification to the bottom of the spring perch. They also would rub a tiny bit when I would turn sharp in parking lots.
I do live in the country,and this car can,and will go off the beaten path if it needs to be!
It has got me to many campsites, fishing holes and digging spots for arrowheads down here in Central Texas it is almost as good as my old truck!
Sent ;)

Attachments

·
I don't care.....
786 Posts
I wouldn't even call your size low profile tbh. If they're that bad I'd look at getting better tyres, check pressures and/or shocks.

·
slow car fast
59 Posts
I don't have any advice. . . but I hear what you're saying. My 2000 I think has 205's. Their selling point was traction and 80k warranty. Good Michelin rubber.

Mine is going to get a lift. Starting with new bushings and spacer. . .very soon. I may do the 2 inch home made lift, not sure yet.

My bug has got to have some utility. It can't just be cool. It needs ground clearance and a hookup to pull a small camp trailer.

My first choice was an ALH series Sportswagen. . . just couldn't find one.

Good luck. . . this is YOUR vehicle to do whatever you want to it.

Peace

1 - 5 of 5 Posts