NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Beerad
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a situation with my cooling system. Both fans come on when straight wired, and when I jump the fan thermo switch on the radiator the high speed fan setting works properly. When I jump the other wire nothing comes on. I am replacing the thermo fan switch and need to know what else could keep that low temp setting from turning on the fans.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
512 Posts
First when you said you straight wired the fans did you try both high and low? Each fan has 3 terminals of which one is GND, one is high and one is low. You should try both to make sure the fan works properly. Last year when I replaced my fans one of the them was still working at high but not working at low.

If you already tested the fans properly, then measure voltage at low terminal when jumping the thermo switch's low terminal. If you don't see voltage there then the fan control unit is bad. Replace the fan control unit or take it off to repair(I think it's just a bad soldering which is a common problem on NBs);)

I have a situation with my cooling system. Both fans come on when straight wired, and when I jump the fan thermo switch on the radiator the high speed fan setting works properly. When I jump the other wire nothing comes on. I am replacing the thermo fan switch and need to know what else could keep that low temp setting from turning on the fans.
Thanks for the help.

·
Beerad
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply. Yes I jumped the hot and ground at each fan lead plug they both worked fine. However when I jumped the thermo switch plug only the hi speed worked. What do you think about that situation?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Yes I jumped the hot and ground at each fan lead plug they both worked fine. However when I jumped the thermo switch plug only the hi speed worked. What do you think about that situation?
Thanks for your help.
I think the Thermal switch is defective. Those 2 pin switches are known to go out over time. I would replace it and see if that solves your issue.

·
Beerad
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still looking

Your right it is a 3 pin switch and I replaced it didn't fix the problem. Any more suggestions I'm pulling at straws now.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Your right it is a 3 pin switch and I replaced it didn't fix the problem. Any more suggestions I'm pulling at straws now.
Thanks for the help.

As I said, your fan control module is probably bad. Pull it, tear it down and do some resoldering or replace it(which is not cheap).

·
Registered
4,271 Posts

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
As I said, your fan control module is probably bad. Pull it, tear it down and do some resoldering or replace it(which is not cheap).
I would try the 2 pin Thermal switch first. Also there are some aftermarket Fan control Modules that are around 50 bucks on Amazon.

http://www.hansautoparts.com/1J0919506EElectricFanControlModule.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/Module-1J0919506H-1J0919506E-1JO919506H-Quattro/dp/B002SP0W94/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1329240541&sr=1-6

If you do order a Fan Control Module make sure the Part number is the correct one for your application.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts