NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am now in possession of my new lower panel, grill and coupling for my NB. i haven't had it painted yet, but will next week. my question is this: i was thinking about going with black instead of silver for the two parts that are going to get painted.

what do you think? silver or black? here's a bad photoshop of what it might look like:

also, do you think i could paint this myself if i was going for black?

Attachments

·
2.5L 5 Cyl. killer bunny
575 Posts
I say black, but if you want an honest Idea...

I am going to be painting my lower valance this weekend in black. If you want a solid Idea of how it will look, I'll be taking some pictures and you can use that for reference.

Oh, and if you wanted to do it yourself, I am sure you could.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
If you want to do it black - you could just paint it yourself.

I know money is a concern and in the pic, the black front looks great. You could buy some black spray paint and paint it yourself. If it doesn't turn out to your liking, you can always pay to have it painted silver at that point... :)

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VW2.0Driver said:
I say black, but if you want an honest Idea...

I am going to be painting my lower valance this weekend in black. If you want a solid Idea of how it will look, I'll be taking some pictures and you can use that for reference.

Oh, and if you wanted to do it yourself, I am sure you could.
that would be awesome. please post back when you have pictures done!

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Porkchop said:
If you want to do it black - you could just paint it yourself.

I know money is a concern and in the pic, the black front looks great. You could buy some black spray paint and paint it yourself. If it doesn't turn out to your liking, you can always pay to have it painted silver at that point... :)
would i just need primer, clear coat and black paint? or do i need 345 other supplies, too? to have it painted would cost about $100 here. any thoughts?

oh yeah, and i have nowhere to paint it!

·
2.5L 5 Cyl. killer bunny
575 Posts
Callisto,

For a GOOD job

here is what you need, as I was told by an experienced painted.

1. Wax and Grease remover - Use this to prep and clean the plastic BEFORE you paint, to remove any impurities that could cause paint NOT to stick.

2. Adhesion promoter - You need this so that paint will stick better to the plastic.

3. Flexible Primer - This is a primer that contains a flex additive of some sort to keep the paint from just cracking away when it bends in or something.

4. Black Paint - Pretty obvious why you need this :p

5. Clearcoat - This will add that nice glossy look and help protect the paint as well.

Since it's a new piece, that SHOULD be all you need. I have a lot more stuff (see here http://www.newbeetle.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1810) for my paint job.

You can look at those photos for an idea of what to look for at the store.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the advice! the parts are new, so i won't need wax and grease remover.

i guess seeing all that stuff and knowing it probably has to be a certain temp in order to paint, i should probably have it done professionally. i don't have anywhere to actually paint these parts except for my back yard!

matt, where are you going to be painting yours?

·
2.5L 5 Cyl. killer bunny
575 Posts
callisto9 said:
thanks for the advice! the parts are new, so i won't need wax and grease remover.
I believe you should use it any way, cause even the oils in your hands need to be cleaned off of it, or any kind of dirt that got on it from sitting.

Just my thoughts.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does anyone have a silver bug with the front black like this? i'd love to see a pic of it since my photoshop isn't that great. ;)

thanks.

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
I was going to suggest doing it like the pic that marvins_dad posted even before I saw it!. That would look awesome! Have the part that goes around the fog lights painted silver and do the rest in black. :goodjob:

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CyberGreenBaby said:
I was going to suggest doing it like the pic that marvins_dad posted even before I saw it!. That would look awesome! Have the part that goes around the fog lights painted silver and do the rest in black. :goodjob:
actually, i am just doing all the lower part black - no silver around the fogs. that would cost too much! i am getting it done next week, hopefully! i'll post pics when it's done.

·
Future Buddha
119 Posts
Hey Callisto9. I was wondering how much the parts cost you and where you got them. I recently noticed some damage to the black mesh portion on my car and would like to fix it. Do you know if I could buy the black mesh portion seperately. Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

·
Super Moderator
5,310 Posts
If I do that I'll probably leave the circles around the fog lights so that it looks like they are "floating" there.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Phatboy said:
Hey Callisto9. I was wondering how much the parts cost you and where you got them. I recently noticed some damage to the black mesh portion on my car and would like to fix it. Do you know if I could buy the black mesh portion seperately. Thanks in advance for any info you can share.
yes, you can buy the black mesh grill seperately. i got mine from www.1stvwparts.com. it was $32. my total order for the 3 parts, coupling, lower panel and grill was about $126 and that did not include shipping. shipping was about $15 - $20. parts do not come painted. the price is good though! tons cheaper than getting it from the dealership!

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i am getting my lower panel and coupling painted next week. i am going with a matte black (will have some shine to it). for all the hassle i would have been going through doing it myself and the lack of a place to actually paint it, i am just having it done professionally. i hope it looks good! wish me luck. i'll be posting pics next week.

i'll also revive my thread about selling the parts - anyone interested? what's the interest level / value on used parts here? they are not in the best of shape. i think the grill is already spoken for.

·
Future Buddha
119 Posts
callisto9 said:
yes, you can buy the black mesh grill seperately. i got mine from www.1stvwparts.com. it was $32. my total order for the 3 parts, coupling, lower panel and grill was about $126 and that did not include shipping. shipping was about $15 - $20. parts do not come painted. the price is good though! tons cheaper than getting it from the dealership!
Thank you very much. You're cool!;)

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Looking at your photoshop pic again, the black is really going to look awesome with your amber foglight covers!

When is she going under the knife? :)

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Porkchop said:
Looking at your photoshop pic again, the black is really going to look awesome with your amber foglight covers!

When is she going under the knife? :)
*ahem* curby is a HE! :D

i am taking the parts in monday or tuesday sometime. should have all done by wednesday or thursday. and of course, i will post pics. i just don't know if i'll be the one yanking the front parts off myself, since i had such a hard time with them earlier.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts