NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm lowring my car in the Spring on an FK 35/40 setup, which will drop it about 1.5 inches.

I am a very careful driver, always taking extra care when entering driveways, etc.

Should I have problems with scraping the bumper?

Thanks Guys!

SMG

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
As long as you are careful you should not have a prob. I am currently on a 1.6/1.7 drop and I do not scrape. I have also ran a 2" and did not have problems. Also it is not if you are going to, it is when and how bad.

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
Speed bumps... ya those are history for me. I won't even enter a parking lot if I see any in there. I literly can't go to one of the local malls because they have speed bumps in all of the entrances.

Now curbs.. etc. No real problems. I just hit them at 45* angles and I'm fine. Occasionally I do scrape my exhaust tip but other that that I havent had any real problems.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I'm down 1.5 and I dont scrape...only thing scraping right now is the plastic scrape pan underneath that the wife broke when she drove OVER a curb, then backed out....I also can go over speed bumps, just take them slow and at an angle, not straight on...No problem.

·
Performance Freak
137 Posts
I would get a skid plate if I were you.
I have one on my car and when I was lowered 1.5" it saved my oil pan a couple times over the bad bumps in my area.
(now running sofsport springs, so only .5" drop)
Well worth the money for the added protection IN CASE you bottom the front.
Driveways are one thing, you can go slowly up them, but bumps on the road at speed you sometimes can't avoid.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Yeah, I'm looking for one...with side skirts...as for bumps? Jersey has worse roads then up here in Pennsly-tucky, except for the GSP....:D (used to live in Central Jersey)

·
MkV Pilot
1,657 Posts
I'm about 1.5" lower thanks to Bilstein Sports and Eibach Pro-Kits. I hardly scrape. Perhaps the only times I do is when exiting a steeper than usual ramp at a faster than usual speed. Never have a problem clearing speedbumps, but do watch out for roadwork, like when a street is being repaved and the manhole is sticking up. I commute to NJ to work and I go through NYC from Brooklyn. I don't have any problems.

I also run a Dieselgeek aluminum skidplate and that is the best investment I have made on my car, bar none. It has saved my oilpan on more than a few occasions.

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts
I have the same set up but the rear sits a bit a lower due to the top motor. I've never scrraped bottom and I fly over stuff all the time, but I think the verts has more internal structural elements to stiffen the body, including the OEM metal skid plate...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts