NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
It's a shot glass!
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used this stuff? or does anyone know if it would be safe to use this in my nb's engine?

Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer
A pure petroleum multi-use oil supplement. Controls noise, heat and wear in manual transmissions and differentials. Number one in the heavy duty and high performance industries.

Lucas Oil Stabilizer is a 100% petroleum product formulated to eliminate dry starts and reduce friction, heat and wear in any type of engine. It allows motor oils a higher degree of lubricity which reduces oil consumption and operating temperatures. Use Lucas Oil Stabilizer in gear oil to stop leaks, reduce operating temperatures and increase the life of the gear oil. Since it is pure petroleum, it can safely blend with all other automotive lubricants, even synthetics, ATF and mineral oil. It keeps old engines alive and new engines new.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
I don't care for additives of any sort - but Lucas makes good products. However, most people use an oil additive to thicken it up to reduce consumption and/or raise oil pressure on a tired, worn engine. If that's your problem, why not just run a thicker oil such as 20W-50?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I also bought one for the auto transmission b ut it's the Lucas Transmision Fix because my trany was shifting hard and stays on 2nd til it reaches 4T rpm. As I was about to put it in, but my brother (mechanic) told me not to blend it with the specified ATF cuz it might interfere with the oil chemistry. They only put those Lucas products when Engine or Trany is already in bad shape otherwise, just use the specified oil if it has no problems. Thus, the Lucas thing is still with me. But I also think Lucas products are good. After changing my trany ATF and filter, trany is still being good. No problem so far.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
The Lucas heavy Duty oil stabilizer is what is called bright stock. It is a heavy oil that is prone to shearing. A thin film of this oil used on the final cut of machine work can leave a nice finish.

What condition are you trying to cure?

·
It's a shot glass!
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of the valve lifters is ticking on my 98 2.0L NB(91,877 miles) and I was wondering if maybe I add this stuff to the oil on my next oil change it would quiet it down.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Doubtful.
What kind of oil are you currently using?

·
dub-tech.com
13 Posts
A GOOD oil and filter will probably cure your tick. Most "ticks" I see are the result of fram or equivalent filters...(orange fram filters that is....they supposedly have finally released a new one that has the bypass valve inside, I have yet to see it). I'd never run anything but an OEM filter anyway...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts