NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
120,000+ miles
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the brake rotors and pads done a couple of weeks ago. For some odd reason I was looking at the driver side rear wheel and saw two gaping holes where the lug bolts were supposed to be and the next one was just about ready to fall out! (I could turn it easily by hand).
Any ideas if this was due to mischief or what would be the possibility of the shop forgetting to tighten the last 3 bolts on a wheel?
What upset me the most was that one of the lost bolts was a locking one - shop owner says anyone can get a tool to remove these - yes? no? Thoughts?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Did you bring it back in for the bolts to be re-torqued after 50-60 miles of driving? Every shop I've had brake or tire work done usually had a disclaimer advising that the bolts were torqued and should be checked after driving for 100KM and that they would do it free if I brought it in.

That is expected/SOP whenever the wheels are removed to ensure that the bolts are on proper.

When I had new tires put on recently I found that three of my bolts were no longer torqued to the right spec after driving. I would imagine had I left it longer they may have come off.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
The tech screwed up, and the manager is trying to cover for him. Plain and simpe. Also, janitz, that "re-torque" disclaimer is just that. A way for shops to get out of responsibility. If you properly torque a fastener to spec, it's not loosening. I've been doing my own wheels and tires for 25 years. Steel, cast/forged/billet aluminum, it doesn't matter. Torque properly, they don't loosen.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Shop tech screwed up, he did not fully tighten the lugs nuts. Likely they lightly snug the lug bolts, then drop the car and torque the lug bolts and they forgot to torque this or all wheels.

Luckily you caught it and did not loose a wheel, damage the car and possibly get hurt. I would now question if the brake hardware is properly tightened.

Never had to re-torque wheels, this is mainly a safety precaution to deal with sloppy shop techs.

I would request the shop to recheck all the lug bolts for proper torque and pay for replacements along with the locking lug, especially if you have to purchase a complete set of locking lugs.

I have been doing auto repair for over 35 years, never had a problem if the lugs were properly torqued the first time. I ALWAYS triple check every bolt during every repair, this is something I got in the habit of doing when I first started working on cars. If I get distracted, I always drop back at least one step and check the bolts again. When bolts fall out or come loose bad things happen and people can get hurt.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I guess I'll "me too" this post as well:) Yeah, properly torqued lug bolts do not fall out.

If you are on good terms with your local VW or Audi dealer, the techs will have spare lug bolts all over the place. New cars don't have the locking lug bolts installed, it is done at the dealer. So for every new car with locking lugs, 4 normal lug bolts are pulled off the car. I was just trashing them, after you collect a 5 gallon bucket of lug bolts, how many more do you need?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts