NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
'02 Snap Orange 1.8T/5spd
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had the Beetle in for a set of tires yesterday. Got a call from the tire store a few hours later, saying the lug bolts were so tight that they couldn't get them off.

Uh......that's not good.

So I went over to the shop and used a 3' Snap-On breaker bar......stood on the bar with both feet, grabbed onto the body of the car, and jumped. BANG...and the lug bolts would come loose. Holy cow! I've never seen bolts so tight.

We haven't done anything mechanical to the car since my daughter purchased it, other than all the electrical work I did when it first arrived. She doesn't get her license for another week, so now it's time to wrap things up and get the car read to use.

My guess was that the tires that were on it, had been on for about 10yrs, and sure enough, their date code was 2005.

We installed General Altimax RT43's: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=245HR7AMRT43&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Volkswagen&autoYear=2002&autoModel=Beetle%20GLS%201.8%20Turbo&autoModClar=

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
That's because most "professional Tire installers would not know a torque wrench if it bit them in the @ss. They use an impact wrench set on the "nearly twist the head off the bolt" setting.
Glad you found out about them now instead of her stuck on the side of the road with a flat unable to get the tire off.

·
'02 Snap Orange 1.8T/5spd
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's because most "professional Tire installers would not know a torque wrench if it bit them in the @ss. They use an impact wrench set on the "nearly twist the head off the bolt" setting.
Glad you found out about them now instead of her stuck on the side of the road with a flat unable to get the tire off.
Ya, me too.

And on a related note, that toothed lug bolt key is incredibly strong!!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts