NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is the right forum to place this, but many of you are probably familiar with the Funfest for Beetles in Effingham IL at Mid-America Motorworks. They sell classic air-cooled Beetle parts as well as Corvette parts, so they also have a Corvette show.

Anyway, the Beetle show is always held the first weekend in June. Despite this being a GTG for air-cooled Beetles, many, many NBs show up and next spring, there will undoubtedly be 2012 Beetles there, too.

I just E-mailed them and suggested that they call this event an all-Beetle show, not just an air-cooled show. The funny thing is this: They used to sell aftermarket NB parts but stopped several years ago. I think they should reconsider this. Their business would improve and NBs are still going to attend this event either way.

I wonder if they will listen.......

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
I don't know if this is the right forum to place this, but many of you are probably familiar with the Funfest for Beetles in Effingham IL at Mid-America Motorworks. They sell classic air-cooled Beetle parts as well as Corvette parts, so they also have a Corvette show.

Anyway, the Beetle show is always held the first weekend in June. Despite this being a GTG for air-cooled Beetles, many, many NBs show up and next spring, there will undoubtedly be 2012 Beetles there, too.

I just E-mailed them and suggested that they call this event an all-Beetle show, not just an air-cooled show. The funny thing is this: They used to sell aftermarket NB parts but stopped several years ago. I think they should reconsider this. Their business would improve and NBs are still going to attend this event either way.

I wonder if they will listen.......
I would definitely keep this thread bumped, or start an Official thread for this event. It would be great to get bugavans from many regions to join this event.

Props to you for the early posting... early planning is key to pulling off a great GtG!

This event is far enough removed from ToD, that I might consider making a roadie.

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
I would definitely keep this thread bumped, or start an Official thread for this event. It would be great to get bugavans from many regions to join this event.

Props to you for the early posting... early planning is key to pulling off a great GtG!

This event is far enough removed from ToD, that I might consider making a roadie.
A roadie out by me?!?!?!!!! :cool:

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
The kids, wife and I attended in 1999 and 2000. Not a bad drive from my location.

And one year we went to the movies and watched one of the, then new, Star Wars Episodes, 1 or 2, I cannot remember which.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like Scarab Y2K's idea. I've been to this event about 2-3 times, and about 1200-1300 Beetles show up. It's huge. Of those 1200-1300 Beetles, I would guess some 50 New Beetles are there in the mix and usually try to park together. Imagine if we could let orgers know this far ahead of time. It would certainly be a long drive for some, but then again, so is Roswell. Effingham is about 70 miles east of St Louis off I-70, and about 500 miles south of where I live. It would be awesome to see the number of water-cooled Beetles double in 2012! Booking a motel early is a must, too! Camping is available on the grounds, but there are no showers...

I got a reply back from them in regard to my suggestion, and they said it's an "air-cooled' Beetle Funfest because they only sell air-cooled parts. And that's true. Regular customers get an additional 10% off during the show, and there's no shipping because they're already there. But....if enough New Beetles showed up, and consistently, MA Motorworks just may eventually change their mind. In the meantime, only air-cooled Beetles get trophies, but who cares? I'm thinking, yes, this thread should be moved to Event Announcements and Planning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts