NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Sloooooooow Down!!!!
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having problems. 2 fault codes keep appearing- Need your advice

1. MAf sensor g70 short to plus - p1145-35-10 intermittent

2. abs - 01314-engine control module - 013 check dtc memory - intermmitent.

Have apr 93 oct with full apr exhaust-bkr7e plugs - j valve and forge dv. Automatic trans. K&N filter.

These codes keep coming back ,I do have vag com-and erase the codes. I am ok till I run hard off the line. The asr light flickers and the car misses or coughs going into second gear-and most of the time this is when codes appear. It does a little better when I turn asr off-but in time if i run hard codes will appear. Sometime, when I run hard, the asr light comes on and stays on till I restart the engine.

The maf and asr must be related. As mentioned when asr light come on both codes appear on vag com. Dont know if the problems are with maf or asr or both. I have cleaned maf and connections a couple of times.

I have a new maf arriving today-will install and see what happens.

The spark plus bkr7e have about 3000 miles on them-i wonder if a plug is bad and causing the cough. I have a new set of plugs that i could install.

also the same thing happens with both f and j valve. Boost peaks at 21 and levels off at 16.

Nb has only 8400 miles.

·
Sloooooooow Down!!!!
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I do bills bug. I have wondered about this. Ive heard pros and cons on k&n-I do like the k&n but. Ill give the new maf a try.. Its the asr light coming on that also bothers me. But as I mentioned these two seems to be related.

If I could get this problem solved it would really help.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
ASR and MAF are connected closely somehow. I dunno why, or how, but they are. I unplugged my MAF and my ASR light comes on.

Check all your ABS connectors, basically they double as ASR sensors. All the plugs near the wheel hubs, one might be loose.

Or the short to ground could possibly be in the MAF or it's connecting wires. I don't REALLY think you've got a bad MAF, so keep your old one around.

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
yea id unplug it and see what happens.. and run vag.... i think my maf code says short to maf wire... cuz i dont run one

·
Performance Freak
137 Posts
K&N's don't really eat MAFs, but over oiled filters will.

I've run a K&N drop-in without any problems.
I know someone that fried his MAF right after re-oiling his K&N (cone filter) and putting too much oil on there.

Also, I've had an ITG foam cone filter disintegrate and foul up a MAF with the little pieces that came off it.
I'll never use a Foam filter again, that's for sure.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
NJ Turbo said:
I've had an ITG foam cone filter disintegrate and foul up a MAF with the little pieces that came off it.

Aww suck. :( I was going to go that route shortly. I hate K&N but that's what I've got at the moment.

Oh well :(

·
Sloooooooow Down!!!!
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just put in new maf and took nb for a spin-when i get into it hard off the line the asr light still flickers. When i switch the maf off(light is on)it runs good with no cough.

I tested for fault codes-none found. But it did this sometimes-run for weeks and give me no codes, it seems when I try a different valve (f&J)it brings on the trouble.

At least - no codes yet. Possible that maf is not bad-will check asr connections and do more testing. See if i can find a mustang.He He

What is this thing of taking screens off maf. Some do-but I dont know about this -looks like asking for trouble.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
That'd be a stupid move.

The screens help straighten the airflow so the MAF gets an accurate reading.

Yeah sure, they restrict the flow of air too I guess.

Whatever, fly how you wanna fly.

---------------

Good luck man. I'm not SURE from your post; did you say the new maf seemed to run fine, but you're still gonna wait a few weeks to see the problem resurfaces?

·
Sloooooooow Down!!!!
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I agree with you on screens. Just got in from from testing and the same codes are appearing with new maf. It probably is in the wiring. It is intermmitent, sometimes i can go couple of weeks without the codes, but codes seem now to be appearing more frequent.

I really dont know what to do next. I could take nb to dealer 50 miles away for warranty work-i hesitate because the dealer says that using a vag com and exhaust changes could void warranty. Isnt that something.

Again these codes do not appear until i come off the line strong.

This time the codes appeared with asr off.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Yep, don't take it to that dealership. They're all about makin' $ and stuffin' it to the buyers.

Maybe there's a local shop that works on VW's. Surely w/a dealership like that in the vicinity there has to be.

With a 2 yr old car, what makes you think it's still under warranty? Your powertrain warranty?

I wonder if electrical harness is really considered part of the powertrain.... Probably not at THAT dealership.

Heh, an exhaust can void your warranty. what the hell.

Oh right... what's not-stock currently on your ride?

I wonder how you can test an intermittent wiring problem. :/ Maybe you can get some tech's advice online; I'm really reachin' the ends of my knowledge base already.

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Red Rider said:
Having problems. 2 fault codes keep appearing- Need your advice

1. MAf sensor g70 short to plus - p1145-35-10 intermittent

2. abs - 01314-engine control module - 013 check dtc memory - intermmitent.

Have apr 93 oct with full apr exhaust-bkr7e plugs - j valve and forge dv. Automatic trans. K&N filter.

These codes keep coming back ,I do have vag com-and erase the codes. I am ok till I run hard off the line. The asr light flickers and the car misses or coughs going into second gear-and most of the time this is when codes appear. It does a little better when I turn asr off-but in time if i run hard codes will appear. Sometime, when I run hard, the asr light comes on and stays on till I restart the engine.

The maf and asr must be related. As mentioned when asr light come on both codes appear on vag com. Dont know if the problems are with maf or asr or both. I have cleaned maf and connections a couple of times.

I have a new maf arriving today-will install and see what happens.

The spark plus bkr7e have about 3000 miles on them-i wonder if a plug is bad and causing the cough. I have a new set of plugs that i could install.

also the same thing happens with both f and j valve. Boost peaks at 21 and levels off at 16.

Nb has only 8400 miles.
Ok here are some answers to your ordeal:

First the easy one, your code of memory check is a known issue with APR and auto transmision Beetles specially 2001 to 2003.
Take your car to the APR dealer and demand them to UPgrade your program because of the DTC and checksum errors on the ECU, its not a bad problem and does not affect the car but its a PITA having the CEL on because of a glitch on APR programming.

OK PROBLEM 1 Fixed__________________________

Problem 2....

Yep a bad maf will trow a CEl and a ASR but not all the time, but the ASR light may be related to a lot of Beetles that had bad ABS modules (mine also), since the checksum in the error is in the same fault code they are def. related, check the update of APR and if the ASR error repeats check your serial number of the bug sisnce there is a a NHTSA reports about bad ABS modules in BUGS. (I HAD MINE REPLACED ITS WARRANTY NO MATTER WHAT)

Last..... get into vag com withthe engine running and check the first groups one will say AIR MASS in GR check that they are within spec. if its not your maf is dead.
Also try to run a log of tha air mass and do a run from 1200rpm to 3000 in 3 or 4 for your auto and check if its within spec at 3000 it must read beetween 130 to 150 grs/SEC...
if its low, does not go up and your catr smeels funny or is eatinmng gasoline like crazy your MAF is DEAD.

Let us know how it went...

·
Sloooooooow Down!!!!
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks nor- Only 8500 miles on auto-got 2 years full warranty left.

I have apr 93 oct with stock switch-full turbo back exhaust-J valve-forge dv - j valve and forge dv could be changed back to stock-if worse came to worse could change exhaust back to stock(would only do exhaust for major problem) Could take it to another dealer in louisville ky and play dumb.

The problem here is intermittent-these problems are difficult to solve.

I have un hooked maf but I had about 4 lights come on-also 3 fault codes.

I think the asr could be the problem-when the asr light blinks i get those two codes, but only get the codes when asr ligt blinks.

But one thing -with the two codes present the nb seems to run strong. Just the miss or cough that gets me., and the cough or miss is not present with asr light off.

Hey nor this is getting over my head. I may,like you advised me, go to tech forum.

·
Sloooooooow Down!!!!
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
thanks pulgamovil - ya i will talk to apr-the problem was not present till i had apr chip installed.

Wish i had stick trans. I would like to go to a ko4 but afraid of it with auto trans.

But one thing-i dont know when codes started because I got my vag almost 2 mo after apr chip installed. Also i did not notice the asr light flikering till about 3 weeks after apr was installed. So like you say it could be the abs module.

Ill check it all out

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
Billsbug said:
Do u have the K&N filter? They 'eat' MAF's...
"Only" if the filter is dripping with oil, these MAF's fail just fine without any assistance.

It could also be a bad connector(s) or wiring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2001 1.8T New beetle. For some reason the ASR light is also illuminated when the MAF goes completely. I cant see how slip regulation has anything to do with the MAF but when I replaced the MAF this light went out aswell as getting rid of the "check engine" light. I too had no a/c until the MAF was replaced.

Advice... spend the money and get a proper Bosch replacement and not some cheap copy from the internet. The copies dont last very long and you end up right back where you started.

·
Registered
22 Posts
need help

Looking for a solution to this on my wife's 2003 1.8t beetle.

178k miles, owned since new. I've done all maintenance since around 60k.

Same two codes in vag-com as the op.

01314- ECM - Check DTC Memory - Intermittent
17553- Mass Air Flow Sensor - Short to Plus - Intermittent

Car runs fine if you just drive around casually but if you mash the gas starting in 3rd gear into 4th & OD it will either hesitate/cough and drop power for a second or stay at a high rpm and not change into the next gear for a second or until you let off the gas.

Usually the ASR/ESP and EPC comes on with EPC light going right back off and the ASR triangle light staying on until you turn the car off. The car seems to run the same with or without the light on even at 80+.

Manually turning ASR off does nothing.

Below are the items checked or replaced.

Vac lines checked.
Some wiring. One nic fixed on coil pack wire.
New air filter.
New Bosch MAF. (At least 10+ car restarts so far over a weeks period so its had time to adjust to new values.)
Throttle body removed and cleaned. (Original)
Throttle body sensor removed and cleaned. (Original)
Throttle adaption was done Successfully on 3 separate occasions in vag-com.
New NGK PFR6Q Laser Platinum Premium single electrode plugs even though it had been running fine for over a year on the plugs in it.
Crack fixed on secondary air tube gong into air filter box.
New fuse holder/housing in engine bay (separate issue fixed)
Turbo sounds like it always does when speeding up.
Boost sensor cleaned months ago when I got a boost sensor code, fixed.
Checked DV valve and it seems clean & moves freely when pressure is applied.
Every electrical connector I saw was unplugged, inspected and sprayed with electrical cleaner.
Checked ABS sensor wire to brake pad on drivers side front since new brakes/rotors had been put on recently.

Same issue/lights and same vag codes at this point.

Yesterday while going to check the pcv breather valve I found the breather hose had a massive crack in it and had turned from hard plastic to soft gunk.

Thought I had found my issue and installed a new hose, t-connector and breather valve as well as check/clean other pieces of tubing.

Test drove it with same exact issues and vag-com codes.

Need some help at this point, its only been restarted and ran 2x since the new hoses and breather valve were installed but I doubt the MAF would need to relearn values yet again before running 100%.

If anyone thinks differently please let me know.

I can check whatever group valves in vag-com also so PLEASE let me know if needed!

Is there a way to check wheel speed sensors and could this cause a asr/epc fault?

-many thanks

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
01314 - Ross-Tech Wiki

17553/P1145 - Ross-Tech Wiki

Maybe, start with a hard reset and drive the car, see if things change and if there are any codes, that return. At 173K; I have a hard time, believing the original DV is working at its best and at the level it needs for the boost system to work well. All the boost hoses and related valves, etc.; should be checked. Boost leak testing or smoke testing; has been recommended by many.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=boost pressure testing

Keep in mind; at the milage you have and age of the car, many parts are suspect. Many can be in a "soft failure" mode; as opposed, to not working at all and have totally failed.

Check out this thread; for links, to problems some of us, have found with our 1.8T cars.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/115226-01-turbo-boost-leak-loss-acceleration.html

Looking at live data: confirming your new MAF is working as it should and checking your fuel trim levels, could point you in the direction of possible issues.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Fuel_Trim_Info

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Remove the pos/neg battery cables; touch them together for 30 seconds and this will clear the ecu. Sometimes, codes and faults will be persistent, even though the problem has been repaired. It's a basic technique; it won't "fix" a problem, that hasn't been repaired but it will reset the ecu.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts