VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2001 1.8T Beetle and i think my MAF is going bad. Any suggestions on cleaning the MAF or replacing. i connected the car up to VAGCOM and pulled 300 301 302 303 and 304 codes.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah you can always try cleaning it first, but the MFA are notoriously bad. At one time recalled IIRC, for sure a service bulletin out on them.

Don't get a cheap one, and I would stay away from re-manufactured ones.

·
Registered
23 Posts
MAF sensor

What should the MAF value be if engine is idling in park? Mine is cleaned, but provides value of 1,5 - 1,75 g/s. According Bentley is should be between 2.00 and 5.00. If idling in drive the value is approx 2.75.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
What should the MAF value be if engine is idling in park? Mine is cleaned, but provides value of 1,5 - 1,75 g/s. According Bentley is should be between 2.00 and 5.00. If idling in drive the value is approx 2.75.
That seems low for sea level.

There is actually three tests that should be done. Idle, cruse 30-60 mph and WOT.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Maf measured values

Is there anybody who could provide some measured MAF values at idle for 1.8t. Would be interested in values for idling in park and drive.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
emissions

@ threearmedhampsters, before replacing any parts I would clean most of your valves; diverter, hocky pug, throttle valve, pcv, maf sensor. then recalibrate your throttle valve and you're done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
pcv

So, I switched out the MAF and I also found that my hoses were trashed. I purchased the 034 hose kit
Breather Hose Kit, Early MkIV Volkswagen 1.8T AWV/AWW/AWP, Reinforced Silicone - 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen. I replaced the top two hoses but I have no idea where the PCV valve is and the other hose. any help is appreciated. I just wish there was somebody in the Hampton roads area that could give me a hand.
The PCV is mounted under the sai pump you'll have to remove that pump out of the way. Here is a picture courtesy of D2beetle the pcv is the one marked in the yellow square.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts