NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Techno Blue driver
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question.I have a 98 aeg with 179,000 miles.My engine seems to have developed a miss fire on 2 -3 cylinders at idle,and I also have a driveability issue when on the road..I.E. stumble,andthrottle lag when I start off from a standing start.But when I unplug the maf and restart the car,it runs very smooth.Would it hurt to drive my car with the maf unplugged,or should I plug it back in and live with driveability problem till I get money for a new maf? Thanks in advance.:D

·
Registered
475 Posts
Just a quick question.I have a 98 aeg with 179,000 miles.My engine seems to have developed a miss fire on 2 -3 cylinders at idle,and I also have a driveability issue when on the road..I.E. stumble,andthrottle lag when I start off from a standing start.But when I unplug the maf and restart the car,it runs very smooth.Would it hurt to drive my car with the maf unplugged,or should I plug it back in and live with driveability problem till I get money for a new maf? Thanks in advance.:D
It didn't seem to hurt when i dorve mine for 2 weeks like that.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Why dont you clean the MAF. it is easy, Just unplug the Maf wire harness and remove the two torx security scews. Orieleys had a 33piece torx security bit set for 3 bucks. Most places want 12 to 30 dolars for a set. Pullout the sensor and clean with a Maf cleaner, do not use carborator cleaner, it is hard on the plastics and can make the plastic housing crack and is not good for the electics. The sensor is dual purpose and also houses the air temp sensor. clean that too. The air flow sensor is the 2 platinum wires with a,whatlooks like a resistor on it. The air temp sensor is at the end of the unit in a square hole with a flat pices of metal.Spray the heck out of it till you get clean fluid driping from it. Let it dry for 5 min. or so it drys very fast, and replace. It is not a bad idea to do this every time you replace the air filter.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I forgot to tell you to mark or remember witch way the sensor goes in it is possible to put it in backwards. Also after you clean it, it is easer to check the sensor with a multi-meter to see if it is bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts