VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Diesaholic
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is going to blow your socks off if you are dreading replacing your MAF or Mass Air Flow Sensor. That range from $100 - $400 depending on model.

Little background just did a Timing belt replacement, Intake cleaning, and EGR Delete on my 98 TDI,

Used VAG-COM to record before and after stats. My MAF readings (before) where less than half what they were supposed to be. About 450 my MAF was reading as bad. Not allowing the air/fuel mix the engine needed to perform.

After the TB, Intake, work, still the same readings.

Now being the "Industrious Person" I am, (thanks vwgary) I researched MAF cleaning and found the CRC MAF Cleaner, it is $6.99 at Autozone.

Bought me a can, pulled the air box top, took out the two screws holding the MAF Assembly into the air box and followed the directions on the can and cleaned my MAF, Actually used the whole can on it.

It pretty much dries asap. Reinstalled the MAF, and went on a test drive.

Well, to put it short:

My MAF is fixed,My MAF is fixed,My MAF is fixed,My MAF is fixed,My MAF is fixed,My MAF is fixed,My MAF is fixed,My MAF is fixed,My MAF is fixed,My MAF is fixed.

All I can say is $6.99 is a heck of a lot easier to swallow that hundreds of $$$

·
Diesaholic
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How to Clean your MAF Sensor

Want to clean your MAF? Heres how:

First get you a can of CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner: $6.99 at Autozone.

1. Remove the clamp from the airpipe

2. Remove the air box top

3. Remove the two screws holding the MAF Assembly to the Air Box

4. Now that it is removed as an assembly, do not remove anything else. Including these screws.

5. This photo shows some detail of the MAF that is inside the assembly. Do not remove it, this photo is for clarification of what you will be cleaning. You want to spray the cleaner in all these areas, multiple times.

Note: DO NOT in any way touch or poke these areas of the MAF with anything! Or you will be buying that new MAF for $$$$$

6. Let it dry, only takes a minute.

7. Reinstall the assembly into the air box and the air box back into your car.

8. Reconnect your air hose and install the clamp.

9. Reconnect the plug to your MAF

10. Go for a test drive and see how it runs.

If you know your MAF was not working, and the cleaning worked, trust me you will notice the difference when you test drive it.

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
4,916 Posts
Can't wait to give it a shot. Thanks Sully:D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Most of the time cleaning is a temporary fix.

Not that it's obviously going to get dirty again, but that the MAF remains damaged.

TDI MAF is ~$90 from autohausaz, i.e. not "hundreds."

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Most of the time cleaning is a temporary fix.

Not that it's obviously going to get dirty again, but that the MAF remains damaged.
I disagree. For about 2 years, every couple months I'd throw a code for the MAF. Clear the code, and I'd be ok for awhile, only for it to come back.

I finally cleaned it about 2 years ago. I haven't thrown a single code since.

·
Diesaholic
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ran VAG-COM on it this weekend, After Cleaning MAF was still not 100% even though the car is running like crazy, it is still about 12% short of the norm.

I like it as is, and will eventually get a new MAF anyway.

·
Registered
86 Posts
how are you lot testing your maf. can you do it with a basic ebay vagcom cable? i have very low mpg about 250 miles for a whole tank and my car is a 2.0l. i am going to use isopropyl alcohol. should i remove that part from the maf when i clean it. what will happen if do break it? thanks

·
Diesaholic
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
how are you lot testing your maf. can you do it with a basic ebay vagcom cable? i have very low mpg about 250 miles for a whole tank and my car is a 2.0l. i am going to use isopropyl alcohol. should i remove that part from the maf when i clean it. what will happen if do break it? thanks
Well it will default to value (about 540 mg/str specified)and performance will suck.

Use an electronics cleaner if can't get maf cleaner.don't take the maf out of its mount, just remove the whole maf.

·
Diesaholic
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
VagCom

Yes I check it with vag com, below is an example from mine:

MAF (specified) MAF (actual)
mg/str mg/str
410 675
470 725
795 1275
790 1100
305 615
290 575
395 640
460 730

·
Registered
86 Posts
ive done it and you really can tell the difference. the car is a lot smoother when idling, and it doesnt start to shake or struggle if i pull of from a hill or steep roads. thanks for the advice.

i will now need to wait and see if it has done anything for my mpg. Do you know of anything else that could be causing it?

·
Diesaholic
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
ive done it and you really can tell the difference. the car is a lot smoother when idling, and it doesnt start to shake or struggle if i pull of from a hill or steep roads. thanks for the advice.

i will now need to wait and see if it has done anything for my mpg. Do you know of anything else that could be causing it?
What type of MPG problem are you having? I must have missied it somewhere? Yours Diesel?

What problems or glitches are you having?

Let me know and I will see what I can figure out.

Edit: I see it is a 2.0L

·
Registered
86 Posts
well it a 2l and its meant to do about 350-400 miles per a tank full according to people on evvo. but before cleaning the maf mine only did 250 and was very bumbpy on idle. now after cleaning it it does300 miles. so i need to find out where the other 50+ miles are going.

I travel on main roads and i havent got a heavy foot, so really i have no other ideas except that it needs a brand new maf, ill have to get someone to vagcom it.

·
Super Splat Inc.
71 Posts
I had this problem not too long ago. My MAF sensor crapped out on me, and after spraying it NUMEROUS times with the same MAF cleaner you showed on this post, it still did nothing. I have a new MAF ordered and on its way to my house, and im currently running no MAF sensor and she runs completely fine. Do you think this will cause any damage to run it that way until my new MAF arrives?

·
Diesaholic
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Should be no problem it will run on the default value. In the mid 500's

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is an old post but...
My '99 Beetle 2.0 is not running well. Usually it has no power off the line, boggs really bad until you get going. Sometimes it runs fine. Local shop recommended cleaning MAF sensor. We did it and made no difference. Also runs the same with MAF sensor completely removed. Does that sound like I need a new MAF sensor? thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts