NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my NB came with a Magnaflow cat back system. The car sounded great at the begining, but soon developed an exhaust leak. (not to mention a really annoying rattle)

Anyway, whoever installed the system, had an extra resonator. So it went cat > resonator > Magnaflow resonator > mid pipe > muffler.

The first resonator was leaking pretty bad, so I had straight pipe put in. (as far as I can see, it shouldn't have been put in)They also re-worked a few other spots, because of the poor original install.

Anyway, now $230.00 later, I think the car is too loud, and I get that popping sound when downshifting or letting of the ges pedal.

Should I add another resonator? Is my muffler blown out? or is this normal??

I will call the Magnaflow Tech line today.

If its normal.... anyone want to buy a magnaflow?? lol....
Thanks

·
I love my VW!
63 Posts
The popping noise is normal.

My NB has a magnaflow and once it gets warmed up it pops 4-6 times every time I push in the clutch.

Personally I like that noise.
It makes it sound like a GT-style racecar

Video of mine for reference. If it sounds like this, it supposed to sound like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMv-jYLAmX8

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies !

Trainguy: Yours sounds great. Now that I have heard yours, I am thinking my muffler has the internals blown out, or there is still an exhaust leak somewhere.... Mine seems much louder, and not so nice sounding.

I'll try to upload a video like yours..

·
I love my VW!
63 Posts
My exhaust setup is: Cat=stock resonator=stock pipe=magnaflow muffler=then exhaust tip.

My magnaflow muffler is a straight through, no internals.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting.. I suppose it comes down to whatever sound works best for you.
Mine still seems loud, and the backfire pops are also loud. I may opt to put another resonator back in.

·
Wanna Walnetto young lady
178 Posts
I have had a few things done to mine, exhaustwise. First it was a Flowmaster Super 40, but it was too tinny sounding for me. Then I went to a Flowmaster with 5" case 4" tip, but it wasn't much louder than stock, so I had them remove the resonator, and replace the pipe from the cat back. Went with 2.5" pipe all the way back. It's not overly loud, but turbo cars tend to be somewhat quieter anyway, but I get pops too, when letting off the gas. It's just the nature of the beast. Replacing the resonator should take care of it, but it wont be as loud.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts