NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm currently looking to buy a 01 GLX with the 1.8t. The price is right, but the beetle's been sitting for about 3 years from what the current owners have told me. Although, they still start it up from time to time. When they parked it, it had no problems and it still starts right up. They even let me test drive it and everything seemed well. Basically my question is, what should be checked since it's been sitting so long?

Apologies if this is in the wrong area.

·
All this & I can cook too
482 Posts
Any time a car has been sitting for a while, it is a good idea to pop the hood & check the engine while it is running, to look - and listen - for anything that might stand out - whether it is a rattle, a hiss , etc. Also check all of the vacuum lines, as some of them will dry rot with time, and others can actually last less time when not in use. You can buy replacement vacuum line cheap at any parts store. Trust me, you can drive yourself crazy trying to hunt down vacuum leaks. Also check the coolant level and look for signs of rust or scaling. Having ghe cooling system flushed and filled - or better yet doing it yourself - is good cheap insurance.

Best of luck with the new Bug :)

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
imo

Hello all, I'm currently looking to buy a 01 GLX with the 1.8t. The price is right, but the beetle's been sitting for about 3 years from what the current owners have told me. Although, they still start it up from time to time. When they parked it, it had no problems and it still starts right up. They even let me test drive it and everything seemed well. Basically my question is, what should be checked since it's been sitting so long?

Apologies if this is in the wrong area.
In my opinion.........run as fast as you can away from that beast of a car it's a money pit..LOL :D They sure are fun to drive though. I had bad luck with mine everytime I fix one thing two more things break down on it..LOL. Good luck and welcome to the newbeetle.org group.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Questions for you are:
Where has the car been setting for three years inside or outside?
How many miles are on the car?
Is it a standard or automatic?
Are you willing and have the time to workout any issues that the car has? Assume the car has been setting for three years and no maintenance has been done, unless they have paper work to prove it.

If I was the one buying the car and it has been setting for three years I would expect to:

1) Do a complete Timing Belt / Water Pump / Tensioner change to include a thermostat. Normally do at 100,000 but after sitting for three years I would not take the chance. If it goes its big money to fix.

2) If it’s an automatic then do a fluid and filter change, personally my self I would not purchase an automatic, the early ones were problematic. If a manual I would still do a fluid change.

3) Compete tune up and filter change, including the cabin air filter – if it’s been outside for three years its gong to be nasty, when was the last time it was changed anyway?

4) What kind of shape are the tires in – look for dry rot / cracking, how soon will they need changing?

5) Check the recall status on the car, this can be done with the VIN number and going to this web site, Recalls should be at no cost to you once you own the car.
Recalls/Campaigns < Protection < Service, Parts, and Accessories < Volkswagen of America

6) Finish doing some research here on the ORG and ask any other questions you have.

1.8T are a nice little engine and a well kept beetle is fun to drive, If you don’t what to do the maintenance then you could be better off with a different car. Personally I like them, We have two Beetles and a TDI Jetta.

Hope this helps

K.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I really appreciate the input, you've confirmed most of my thoughts on the matter. It has been stored outside but under a carport the entire time it's been sitting. So it hasn't had it too rough. It just doesn't seem bad enough to entirely run away from it.

The car is a 5sp manual w/ 90k. Owners said they put a new clutch a little before they parked it, so that's a plus I suppose. :) These people aren't shady, they're my father's friends so I'm sure they're not trying to sell me a lemon (at least not on purpose)

They have it priced at $3,000 which from what I've seen is about $1500 below kbb in fair cond.

Is the price worth the headache?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sounds worth it to me. $3k is a great price for the car considering the year/mileage and it leaves enough left over for any repairs it may need. I would look underneath real well though and check things like the brake lines to make sure they aren't too rusted.

If you purchase the car I would go through the entire brake system to make sure everything is 100%. Letting a car sit can cause calipers to freeze up, lines to rust, etc...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts