VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a couple of questions.

Tomorrow (Sunday) We'll be doing the manual transmission oil change. Any suggestions about gear oils that I should be aware of? And NO I'm not going to the stealership this time for gear oil. Something off the shelf that works good with VW's manual transmissions.....

And of course, doing the oil change as well.

I know enough to get the VW approved oil. But what weight range would be best? I can't remember if we did 10w30 or 10w40 last time. I know we went with a Mobil 1 filter and oil last time....it's got 126,000 on it...and it's running 70-90 degrees average for the summer months.

Thanks all!!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Well, if you want to use VW-approved oils and buy them locally in the US your choice will be pretty limited. As far as I know, for gear oil it is Mobil 1 75w-90 and for motor oil it is either Mobil 1 0w-40 or Castrol 5w-40.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finished up.

The gear oil came to about $30.00 for the 3 quarts. Would have been probably 2ish but we had to lower the car to level to ensure the fluid was 'full'. We lost about 2 cups when we lowered the car. (it went down at a steep angle with the floor jack...opps)

Looks like it was changed at some point. Pretty clean. Did have the expected metal 'flake' going on. It shifts pretty good, so this was maintenance.

Went with 0w40 oil. Going to need to keep a real close eye on the oil. It was about 1 1/2 qt low??? And of course the gasket ring on the drain plug is seeping slightly. Not enough to send up huge red flags...(no active dripping...just annoying)

If anyone wants that oil? Go to WalMart. It was a lot cheaper then our auto parts houses. So I did that and a Bosch filter this time. (I'll never use FRAM.....unless you want to blow up an engine....)

S-

·
Registered
712 Posts
If the gear oil you used us GL-5 rated, you have made a mistake. You car requires GL-4 because of yellow metals. GL-5 WILL attack the yellow metals. Mobil gear oil is NOT rated for your car. You don't have to do to the dealership to buy your fluids; however, you should at least use the correct ones if you want your car to last. This (gear oil) has been discussed extensively but it's you car and ultimately it's your decision. I work in R&D for a large gear, gearbox, bearing, motor manufacturer, and I have seen GL-5 oil dissolve copper and highly pit brass in two weeks. I many cases, a product can exceed the requirements of a lower standard.but when a gear lube is marked as GL4 and GL5, that is pure marketing. To get the GL5 rating, more additives are in the lube, which in turn, exceeds the amount if that additive allowed by the GL4 standard. In this case, it is very important because those additives attack yellow metals.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that's going to be lovely.

The only fluid I can buy locally from our usual sources is GL-5

Hope a couple days driving won't hurt it. Have to drop it again on Tuesday and see if NAPA can order it in for me.

S-

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's the problem. No more $$. The gear oil suggested wasn't cheap and I only allowed for 3 qts.

$ 11 a qt ran the budget on the high side along with the oil change.

The gear oil I did purchase states MT-1 GL-5 rated. Supposedly this was to cure the issue with the sync issues and the 'yellow metals'.

What I'll have to do, in order to take care of this quickly--as I'm still using this as a daily driver.... I'll see if our local NAPA can order in 2 quarts of GL-4. I'll have to mix in a small amount of GL-5 if the 2qts doesn't fill 'er up all the way. I drove it around today most of the after noon...couldn't tell the difference?

The part that really sucks? NO auto parts house in my area sells GL-4 syn oil at all. It all has to be ordered in. So I'll check with NAPA tomorrow for pricing. If the online stores can beat their prices---and driving the car for a couple of weeks won't grenade the transmission while I wait for delivery (and another day off to do this) I'll do that route.

Just rather silly and damn stupid that with the number of manual transmission that REQUIRE GL-4 fluid? Can't get it unless you jump through about a dozen hoops.

S-

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Blauparts: on sale and you get a extra 10 % with your first order:

Vw Gear Oil for Manual Transmissions - Ravenol TSG 75w90 GL-4 - 1 Liter (Inline and Transverse Mounted Manual Transmissions)
Product Part Number:
J1C1001-B

https://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=J1C1001-B&cat=4421

From Blauparts site: Important Notes:
We recommend GL-5 gear oils to NOT be used in VW manual transmissions as most GL-5 gear oil have too high of sulfur content which can cause damage to the brass synchros and soft metal materials of the transmission. It is best to use GL-4 gear oils in manual transmissions unless otherwise specified.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's the amusing part of all of this. I checked out the parts house as listed. THEY LIST BOTH GL-5 AND GL-4 when I did a search for the year/model of the car.

Kinda unique how they also state, after using their search engine:

Consult your service manual and confirm the specific manual transmission oil specification requirements for your make and model.
I'll see what the $$ is and probably order in two liters. Just hope it likes mixing with a little bit of GL-5. (Cause the small amount I'll have to add to it? Will be a little of the GL-5)

Anyone think I'll have issues driving it for about a week with the GL-5 in it?

S-

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No GL-5. Most parts stores carry Redline MT-90 is GL-4 Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gear Oil for Manual Transmissions - MT-90 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil and the correct grade, but does not have the official VW approval many tdi users have went hundreds of thousands of miles on it (tdiclub.com). But you really can't go wrong with approved oem fluids.

I checked with Redline's site. The only parts stores that carry their products? Only have the water wetter available to order in. The site clearly states they can not order in the oils. :mad:

Kinda feel like I just got screwed here. What I need...no local place can get.

Looks like I'll have to drive it until we get it corrected.

S-

·
Registered
712 Posts
Who recommended GL5 to cure synch issues? I would run from that's persons advice. All transitions do not use yellow metals. VW successfully has done this for over a half century. When a mechanic, or shade tree experienced mechanic, has experienced something working to cure symptoms, before you can implement that technique, you must make sure you are comparing a apples to apples, or in this case, similar transmissions. These fluids are not hard to get. Your oreilly, autozone, napa, etc., can all get them within a day or two of lead time. Please use the correct fluids if you want your vehicle to last. I"when people don't they will encounter more problems down the road. In turn they will then complain on how the car is unreliable or something along those lines. You have to use the right fluids.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, if you want to use VW-approved oils and buy them locally in the US your choice will be pretty limited. As far as I know, for gear oil it is Mobil 1 75w-90 and for motor oil it is either Mobil 1 0w-40 or Castrol 5w-40.

As I'm not trying to throw anyone under the bus? The above post was from Red99.

He's usually spot on with his advice.

I ASKED for the advice, and only Red responded until I posted that the job was finished. Only then did everyone pipe up and state NOT to use GL-5.

Let's be clear on this. I bit the bullet and spent almost $ 60 bucks on coolant for this car. I bit the bullet when the power steering was low and spent $30.00 bucks for a tiny pint of mineral oil.

I'm sure Red didn't mean to cause any issues, but it is what it is. So long as I won't blow the transmission apart? I'll have to drive it for a week or so until the new correct fluid arrives. And as mentioned, I'll be dipped in whale dung if I give anymore $$ to the stealership unless I have no choice. :D;)

FYI: In my area. Napa might be able to order it in. (I have to check) Autozone, and Advance? Autozone shows the fluid, but then states "Can't be shipped to store, and not able to order" Why they even list the stuff is beyond me? Advance has GL-4 fluid. But you have to buy a barrel of it. (according to their website.)

This is why I'm a bit frustrated. When I attempted to recover from this error, and get the car 100% today? No one had it on hand---and no one shows it able to be ordered in. (napa doesn't count <G>..they where closed)

I'm sure a couple of days...maybe a week or two? Well, I'm hopeful it won't damage the transmission.

No one here recommended it for 'sinc' issues. That was after I did some major research and found how hotly debated this topic has become, and how well known it is---well, everyone except me of course.

S-

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does this fluid HAVE to be Synthetic?

That stuff in a non-synthetic I should be able to order in at a reasonable cost. (I found the part number for a gallon jug that I can order in for under $20 bucks)

That should fix everything...IF it will work with a GL-4 in a non synthetic type....

S-

·
Registered
712 Posts
The coolant for your car is $12.99 for 1.5liters at OReilly, you need no more than 3 liters, plus some distilled water from the Grocery store for $2. I do not know why you paid $60. It only costs about $30 at the dealership. Pentosin PF-SF-1.5L - Coolant/Antifreeze | O'Reilly Auto Parts

The powersteering fluid for your car costs $30 at the dealership, and $25 at Oreilly. Pentosin CHF11S - Hydraulic System Fluid | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Your transmission will be fine, if you change the fluid to a GL-4 fluid, within a reasonable amount of time.

I'm sorry you didn't get the advice you needed in the time you felt you needed it. I just want your car to last a long time, so you will be happy with it. In the future, read your manual, and if you don't want to use your dealership, at least make sure you order the VW spec fluids well in advance. It isn't that much more expensive, but it may take some additional planning. I hope that helps. Good luck, and feel free to PM me and I will give my best advice (opinion) as quickly as my schedule allows!!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I don't know if Lucas synthetic gear lube is VW approved or not.
But it has been in my Volkswagen gearbox for about 5 years and 100,000 miles!
Readily available at almost every parts store you can imagine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The coolant for your car is $12.99 for 1.5liters at OReilly, you need no more than 3 liters, plus some distilled water from the Grocery store for $2. I do not know why you paid $60. It only costs about $30 at the dealership. Pentosin PF-SF-1.5L - Coolant/Antifreeze | O'Reilly Auto Parts

The powersteering fluid for your car costs $30 at the dealership, and $25 at Oreilly. Pentosin CHF11S - Hydraulic System Fluid | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Your transmission will be fine, if you change the fluid to a GL-4 fluid, within a reasonable amount of time.

I'm sorry you didn't get the advice you needed in the time you felt you needed it. I just want your car to last a long time, so you will be happy with it. In the future, read your manual, and if you don't want to use your dealership, at least make sure you order the VW spec fluids well in advance. It isn't that much more expensive, but it may take some additional planning. I hope that helps. Good luck, and feel free to PM me and I will give my best advice (opinion) as quickly as my schedule allows!!

The sister stores to o'reilly automotive couldn't get squat for this car LOL. The coolant was $25 a gallon plus tax from the dealership. (we purchased two gallons) The only place that was willing to order it in? Was Napa--and the price was a wash. ($15 per liter if memory serves...actually it was a lot higher then the dealership) Same issue with the power steering fluid. I could buy it in bulk from the local Napa....no one else wanted to go near it.

I've no clue why some of the auto parts houses local to me can't even look stuff up. I normally wind up hitting their webpages--getting the part number myself---and then ordering it in as a "walk in" customer. Then about 50% of the time? They respond by saying "We can't get THAT in stock.....try x, y, or z. product what is supposed to be 100% fine"....I got that at each parts store when it came to the coolant, and the power steering fluid.

In general, I only order parts online from RockAuto. I've had my credit card number stolen in the past from online stores, so I'm gun-shy. :D I do have a solid account with PayPall, and do work on eBay a lot for personal items. (and sometimes auto parts.......when RockAuto doesn't have the best price. Rare but it happens)

If the GL-4 non syn will do the trick? That I CAN get pretty easy.

Not sure about the Lucas. I did see that on the shelf at the Advance Auto. Here it is:

Exceeds Service Level API MT-1, API GL5, MIL-PRF-2105E, MACK GO-J, PG-2 Limited Slip
This is where things get confused....The MT-1 I guess is supposed to address the issue with the metal issues within the transmission. I would submit that things have more to do with how well treated things are---eg: If you do not beat the hell out of it...it'll last a good long while.

Still wondering, if NON-Synthetic will work in these cars...I can get GL-4 in pretty easy, and wicked fast.

S-

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Minor error: Advance Auto Parts has no sister stores related to CSK Auto. They own Checkers, Kragens, and O'Reilly.

I checked their store locator. Look at NYS where I am...and it's like a dead zone for stores. Figures the place I could go to, faster and easier....Won't go near NYS.

S-

·
Registered
712 Posts
Sir,
Due to the availability troubles in your area, I suggest you order from one of the reputable VW online parts stores. Blauparts, ECSTuning, Fixmyvw.com, are some you might consider.
Also, the cooling system capacity for any of these NewBeetle engines is less than 6 liters, I hope you are not running 100 percent coolant. Should be a 50:50 ratio of coolant:distilled water. Maximum of 70:30 (less efficient).
You can run (unapproved, but GL4) Pennzoil SynchroMesh ($8 liter) and your transmission will shift like butter. Many (myself) are running this, but it is not a VW spec fluid. Go to tdiclub and search synchromesh and read till you decide if it's for you. I am running it, but I know it is the wrong fluid, and have researched this ad nauseum. You can find it locally, but if you want to be 100 percent sure, stick with oem fluids.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts