NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 2.0 beetle. The car runs and drives well until very recently. I changed the stereo and mixed up a couple of the wires to the heated seats, hazard lights, and rear window defroster. Last weekend, when it was cooler, i turned the rear defroster on and to my surprise there were a lot of weird electrical failures. My abs light and brake warning lights came on and constantly buzzes with warnings. I've lost AC as it blows warm air, and I think my coolant fans aren't working as well. I have since corrected the original problem however I am plagued with the results of my mishap.

Has anyone encountered this type of issue before? How would i go about to remedy this problem?

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Have you checked the fuses ?

Hopefully you won't have burn't, melted a few of the wires.

I did this in a car about 15 years ago. When i stripped the dash down, i had caused a mini meltdown behind the dash. Not good :(

:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've checked all the fuses, all are ok and none are blown. I did however notice a slight burning smell when these problems arose.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
I've checked all the fuses, all are ok and none are blown. I did however notice a slight burning smell when these problems arose.
Trouble being, wires in the loom are packed so tightly together, that when one wire overheats, the rest overheat. By the time you get to burning they're almost certainly touching metal to metal :(

I'm guessing one of the reasons why the Airbag loom is wired away from the other looms. Do you have a friend who is good with electrics who could have a look for you :) Finding electrical faults via a garage can be time consuming = expensive.

All the Wiring Looms/Hanesses are here for your Bug :)

http://www.wagenstad.com/index.php?modid=47&section=9

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update. I had the car towed to a garage that specializes in VW's. It took them to better part of an hour and $170 to determine there were a couple of burnt fuses. They were replaced and I am now living in a state of "happily ever after" thanks for the information and all the help.

As a salute to the help i received, I've decided to post some pics of my stereo build. I will post it in the stereo section of this site. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Posted:
Folowed by:
Just an update. I had the car towed to a garage that specializes in VW's. It took them to better part of an hour and $170 to determine there were a couple of burnt fuses.
Miss a fuse panel, did you... :rolleyes:

Glad you're up and about!

M.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts