NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Leo Bug
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I hope that someone can give some advice. My car is a 2004. My battery keeps loosing it's charge. I just bought a new battery (from walmart mind you) It keeps coroading and i've had to jump start my car every time i get in it. Now i need a powerful battery jumper to start it (don't know what it's called) Using a car to jump it with the regular jumper cables doesn't work any more. Ive had it tested..Its not the alternator. The battery might be the problem, but I have this fuse box above the battery and not sure what it is, but it is drawing about 1.60 amps of power. Does any one know what this fuse box is? it has about 6 wires connected to it. I want to get a new battery from Volkswagen, but i know it would cost me a lot of money for a battery from the dealership. Any clue about how much that would cost? I don't know what the problem might be, but something is drawing power from the battery and by using an ampage tester, its that fuse box.

·
Registered
448 Posts
So I hope that someone can give some advice. My car is a 2004. My battery keeps loosing it's charge. I just bought a new battery (from walmart mind you) It keeps coroading and i've had to jump start my car every time i get in it. Now i need a powerful battery jumper to start it (don't know what it's called) Using a car to jump it with the regular jumper cables doesn't work any more. Ive had it tested..Its not the alternator. The battery might be the problem, but I have this fuse box above the battery and not sure what it is, but it is drawing about 1.60 amps of power. Does any one know what this fuse box is? it has about 6 wires connected to it. I want to get a new battery from Volkswagen, but i know it would cost me a lot of money for a battery from the dealership. Any clue about how much that would cost? I don't know what the problem might be, but something is drawing power from the battery and by using an ampage tester, its that fuse box.
I had the same exact problem with my 2001 beetle early this year and the problem was the fuse box and wires that are on top of the battery. The fuse box is on top of the battery. My 01 bug just actually caught on fire because of the fuse box. Even though I had it replaced early this year.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
I get my batteries from Batteries Plus and on average they last 5 years; the cost is usually around $90-$120. The fuse box on top of the battery is a problem in itself, but I do not think it is your problem. If you are measuring 1.60 amps at that point, then that power is going somewhere; the "somewhere" is your problem.

You should check the battery top fuse box for melted plastic and/or corroded wires, fix them or replace the fuse box.

Also you might want to check your ignition switch; they have been know to cause power drains.

·
The Leo Bug
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot. This should help me. I've been trying to figure out what is being powered from the fuse box. Everyone keeps asking me what it is and I didnt have a clue. It might be the fuse box. Its not the alternator. I checked to see if it was that this morning. It just dies on me without warning. Its fine for a while after I charge the battery back up and it last for a few weeks, then the other day, it just dies on me again. It is so frustrating. I guess I just need to bring it into my mechanic to see if he can tell me exactly what wrong with it and just have it fixed.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
radio

Thanks a lot. This should help me. I've been trying to figure out what is being powered from the fuse box. Everyone keeps asking me what it is and I didnt have a clue. It might be the fuse box. Its not the alternator. I checked to see if it was that this morning. It just dies on me without warning. Its fine for a while after I charge the battery back up and it last for a few weeks, then the other day, it just dies on me again. It is so frustrating. I guess I just need to bring it into my mechanic to see if he can tell me exactly what wrong with it and just have it fixed.[/QUO

I have heard of some folks that the radio pulls current from the battery even after you turn off the car. Try removing the fuse for the Radio, recharge or have the alternator recharge the battery again and test without the radio for a week or so.
Good luck man

·
131,000 miles!
440 Posts
Did you test the alternator yourself or what? My car was doing the same thing... Autozone told me the alternator was fine and it ended up being the problem..

Got my alternator replaced and everything is fine

>>United States Air Force

·
The Leo Bug
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I brought it to my mechanic and told me that the alternator is going bad because the positive battery terminal wire is all corroded and needs to be replaced. I was going to just have them fix it all for about $800 when my husband wanted to do it himself. Fine and dandy, but he refuses to replace the wire. He thinks that if you just clean it up real nice that everything will be OK. So the question is, would you replace a wire that has been all corroded or just clean it off? I want to replace the wire, but he think that "logically speaking", it will be fine after a nice cleaning. What do you think about this?

·
Beetle gone bye bye.
482 Posts
The corrosion can get down under the insulation and damage the wires where you can't see. I say avoid future problems and buy a new cable. Just my two cents worth..

·
Ali's Dad
229 Posts
Replace the wire, it will also cause problems with the fuse box on top of the Battery. Fairly easy job to replace the wire - I did mine - got the wire from the dealer - $52.00, saved replacing the alternator as it was only the wire that was bad. The wire was also causing the fuse box to fry...which nearly caught the front end on fire. Since my fuse box was cooked I also replace it as well.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
alternator wire

If corrosion has gotten into the wire braids you can try and salvage it by cutting the end and stripping the insulation to see how far the corrosion is, if not too far in than recrimp a new connector, but make sure the insulation did not melt when it got too hot and shorted with other wires in the harness. I would disconnect the wire at the alternator & at the battery, then measure with an OHM meter to make sure there are no shorts between that wire and the car's chassis(ground,negative of battery) or other wires in the same harness. Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts