NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Vert Owner
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's the short verison of my long story.

My battery died, at the time i didnt know that was the problem. We tried jumping it with 4 different car and an suv. So i called the VW roadside assit. And they came to tow my car. I had the top down. The tow guy came and we read the manual to see how to manually close the top. Cuz it would be sitting at the dealership over the weekend. I didnt want to leave it open incase it rained. So the tow guy was the one that did all the pullin of the cords and turning the dial/T-screw on the hydraulic pump.

So the dealership called and said they fixed everything. i go to pick it up and if i have them fix something with the top i always check to make sure it opens and closes before I leave. So i try it and nothing. So the dealership guy gets in the car and does some reset thing with the windows( I guess if you open and close them a certain way it resets the computer part of the top). And nothing. Oh and now there is now oil all over my trunk. lovely i know.

So they keep it and work on it the next day. The vw guy calls me and tells me that they cant fix it, Oh and I forgot to say that my warrenty is pasted. So he tells me that its gonna cost $2350.00 to repair it. YEAH RIGHT!!!

So I called VW and reported it and said that it was either a faulty hydraulic pump, the tow guy broke it or the dealership broke it. I told them that i dont think i should have to pay for it. So they came back - like 3-4 wks later after many calls and me repeating my story a million times. ( Everyone was very very nice.) They said that they or the tow truck company is not responsible cuz it was not necessary to close the top to tow the car. And because I said it was ok for the guy to close the top, then they r no longer responsible.

So then I went to VW and explained again everything and the lady said I know we wont pay for it cuz u r past ur warrenty. They wont even help pay for part of it.

I find it crazy that they would use something that would break sooooo easily and not say anything in the manual or give u a warning. If there wouldve been a warning in the manual "MAY BREAK EASILY" - I probably wouldnt have manually close the top and I wouldve taken my chances on the rain. Thats why I feel like it might be faulty. But i dont know.

So now I'm stuck with a vert with a broken top -

I'm very sad:( and mad :mad:. I dont really know what to do
now!!!

There's a picture of what mine looks like and what one should look like. You can see the T-screw sticks out. It wont push in almost like the spring inside is holding it up.

Is this something I can buy a replace myself ? Or am I gonna have to pay?

Any suggestions, PLEASE ! I'm missing valuable top down time!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I'm correctly assuming you've tried to revert the crank knob to the original position? :)

I haven't read the manual in a long while in regards to the hydraulic pump. I hope you can get it fixed and get your NBC back to original condition. :( Good luck with it, I'll see what I can do to find info on the pump for you.

-Des

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
I'm sorry this happened to you... this is why I'd want one of the ultra rare GL manual tops, I just don't like hydraulic systems.

·
Achtung Baby
1,643 Posts
Yikes! over $2k to fix it!!! Maybe you could just rip out all the power top stuff and make it into a manual top. I got the manual top so I wouldn't have to deal with all that power stuff. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
GLs aren't rare are they?

i went manual to save some $$ and since i'd have to get out and put the boot on anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Chubs763 said:
GLs aren't rare are they?

i went manual to save some $$ and since i'd have to get out and put the boot on anyway.
We should let the thread get back to topic :)

But from what I understand only the 03s had and some 04s had a GL no-power-top trim, and were made in fewer #s than the power tops. I could be wrong, of course. Some argued that there was no manual tops on any years, the big stink was at their unveiling they showed the gap (which was left on wingless-04+ models IIRC) that the powered top version covered with a wing when it 's top was folded down.

·
Cherchez la coeur...
977 Posts
I've never worked on one, but that's way too much money if what you want is a hydraulic top. Even aftermarket, a small pum and reservoir is only a few hunderd dollars and your time to adapt it. I'd be surprised if it's hosed - more likely, the dealership sees a gold mine to exploit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ouch.

i had my 03 for a month. and at Roswell, the top failed. so i manually had to raise it (pull the cords, and shut off the hydraulic). that T handle turned fine, like a faucet (righty to tighty, lefty to loosey :) )

the "oil" in your trunk, is probably the hydraulic fluid. shutting it off should NOT have messed up the pump... that's what it's THERE for.

but yea i've dealt with VW. had the check arm SNAP OFF in the door. had the car for 3 years, but my job commute pushed me over the 50k mile mark. i'm told i need a new door!! oh that's only $1200 and VW won't help since it's past warranty by milage. never mind the part that broke has nothing to do with milage.

VW will get out of any warranty issue if they can. the dealer even claimed it wasnt a faulty part. HELLO!! IT SNAPPED OFF!!

good luck. i gave up (which they want) and am looking for a quick spot weld.

·
Vert Owner
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya i've tried to turn it back, but it just keeps on turning and turning and turing, in both directions. And you cant push it back in. If almost feels like its hung up on something.

I havent brought it to any other shops for another opinion. Thats my my next step.

I would mind it if I could turn it into a manual opening top if I could do it for free and just have it that way untill I can get it fixed. And u can open and close it manually but it doesnt lock in place - I mean i weights a million pounds and I doubt it would even move at a high speed, but it makes that annoying continous beeping noise when you drive. So I dont know.

Well, I feel theres hope again - thanks guys ;) !!!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Not sure what to tell you... I've manually operated power tops a LOT and have never had any issues. The only thing that I can think of is when the tow truck driver opened up the the valve on the pump, he didn't stop turning when the valve did.

Now on the old Cabrio cars, I've replaced several of the plastic caps that are on the end of the pump asm that holds the oil. Just 4 screws. Then with the valve open, you manually open/close the top a few time to purge air out of the lines and top up the fluild...then repeat. So, maybe you have a cracked end cap.

·
not a noob
145 Posts
If its possible to do, not sure obviously, but replacing the motor with an aftermarket/generic one is only about 200 dollars or so. There is some modification required I'm sure, but probably just wiring the electronics, and hoses. Knowing VW, the hydraulic rams probably only fit one and only one kind of hydraulic hose...VW's.
The only time I see fluid leaking out of hydraulic convertible motors is when either the fittings for the hoses have failed, or the main seal in the motor has failed. But again, I have had no experience with these specific motors yet. We repair/replace convertible motors all of the time, but haven't had one of these fail yet. Perhaps check with Convertible Service, I believe in California. That's where we get all of our stuff from. Otherwise, junkyard!

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts
Yep, that's wut happended, the tow guy unscrewed it all the way. Once u unscrew it, you can not get it to screw back in.

So how do I know this? Cuz I was a dumb @ss and thought it was the access panel to the left rear brake light assembly and unscrewed it! :anon:

I just took it in and acted like I didn't know wut happened and the dealer put a new one in. :p

BTW, check ur manual, I think ur warranted for 4 years, so try a different VW service department.

·
Vert Owner
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh cool thanks - Ill check on the warrenty thing. I thought about taking it to the usual dealer that I go to. I could send it there cuz they wouldnt tow it that far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey this probably won't help now but I just currently had the same problem with my 2003. The T-screw popped out and oil went everywhere when we manually had to force the top closed. Online and the VW dealership said there was no way to fix it but that is not true!!

Fix:
We removed the pump and took the clear container for the oil off. We tapped the pin out that was under the T-screw, this was preventing the T-screw from being able to screw back in which was the reason they said we could not fix it. After tapping the pin out, we bought a new one from Autozone and a new o-ring that goes around the t-screw. Cost 5 dollars and the pump will be fixed soon! The T-screw goes in first and then the pin goes through it. Hope this helps any future problems with anyone. Don't buy a new pump!!!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok...I'm replacing the top this weekend and left the top half way open...gravity took over and top is now completely open...I unlatched the levers and cracked the valve open to close it manually...I'm also needing to remove the hydraulic lines...will I have to bleed the system to purge the air from the lines? Input is greatly appreciated!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts