NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 vw newbettle 2.0 gas

Long story short my girlfriend drives this car when its cold it doesnt want to get out of its own way once it warms up it will drive somewhat normal but anything over 75% throttle and the car stumbles and the intake gets really loud and deep the C.E.L. starts blinking (sign of misfire) when checked w/ multiple different obd2 scanners i get:

300 random
301 cyl 1
302 cyl 2
303 cyl 3
304 cyl 4
172? i think and 2 others relating to full system too rich but not sure as i've cleared them

I specialize in hondas and toyotas, we have replaced all spark plugs... which on another note whats the best sparkplugs for this car? It had bosch 4+ platnium in them seems alittle over kill so put 2+ platnium in them instead this time.

Months ago we had o2 sensor codes ive taken them all out and cleaned them their not throwing codes.

Also she says about 2 months ago her father had scanned and recieved a MAF sensor code but im not getting it now we had cleaned that previously too.

The symptoms of this car feel like they could be from faulty distributor (or coil), ignitor, or MAF but were not looking to drop hundreds of dallors on different parts to check. My question to this board is what can i start by checking? is there readings i can go by to probe the ignition parts or the maf sensor/harness to make sure either is bad before replacing? or does this sound like im on the wrong path maybe theres more common issues with these beetles that i dont know about?

·
Y2K Speedle
1,089 Posts
Ignition pack.
I went through the same thing around 145000km.Drove with check engine light for months and replaced all O2 sensors, wires, cleaned MAF... all that jazz :)Since new coil pack from dilership ($130CAD) was in ( was last on the list ), all of the above was gone :D I can rev in red, cold run is stady, engine sounds great and MPG is awesome!
A year later, I forgot where the check engine light is on the cluster :)
WOT

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay so ignition pack... is there one that controls 4 two that control 2 each or 4 individual coil packs on these? i havent even looked ill look tomorrow...

I thought bad cat at first to, till i drove it. because ive had cats go out on nearly every car i've had but it just doesnt feel like a cat.. honestly i can bearly get it to go over 25mph now unless i give less that 15% throttle... and if i ease on the gas in neutral or park itll rev all the way up, there is no backfire or anything like that happending.

Thanks for the quick replys and ill keep both in mind

btw vehicle has 113k miles

another indication that i believe it deals with the coil pack or distributor or whatever these have is that the rev limiter is around 4k sometimes and sometimes it goes up past 6 like it should. but im not sure that a clogged cat converter couldnt do that either though.

·
Y2K Speedle
1,089 Posts
Hm... at 113K miles... you are dye timing belt/water/pump/thermostat/serpentine belt/coolant job... ECS tuning (with one of their kits) is your best friend. It's a 600 bucks job in total. Dealer will charge you 1200 for TB job so do it with independand, reliable shop.

Use OEM spark plugs.
Change air filter.
Change fuel filter.
Clean ( or replace ) the MAF.
New O2 sensors will help the engine ( but not the budget )

Call your local VW dealership and check if you are alagable for extended waranty on CAT. They will test the cat for rattling and charge you for diagnostic if your cat is fine, but if not, it's all free ( my favorite brand :) )

Coil pack is one piece ( well... it's a complicated device inside ) and it's on the front of your engine at the other end of spark plug wires. Over the time they develope smal craks and sparks jump from one cylinder to another creating confusion everywhere, means check engine light, missfiring, jerky engine and bad MPG. To replace it you well need a philips screewdriver and 15 minutes of time. Mu advice is to buy it at dealeship ($120-bling). I got mine on e-bay ( not the cheapest one ) and had to replace it after one month.

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts